2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft Sensor Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Boamax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Sensor Error Code

I just did the plenum pan gasket replacement on my 98 1500 with the 5.9L. When I went to start it up for the first time afterwards it would not start. I don't appear to be getting any spark and am getting obd error code for a Camshaft Sensor circuit malfunction. What is going on and how do I fix it?? Please help! --jamie

Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Camshaft Sensor Error Code

welcome to df...

did you yank the distributor or disconnect the cam sensor plug? that would be the 1st place to start. you could have damaged the wiring while yanking off the harness so have a look at that too.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Boamax

I replaced the cap and rotor while I was at it. The sensor is plugged in and the wires appear to be fine. I checked the wire going to the sensor. I am getting 5 volts on the left and the right terminal when the ignition is in the on position. I get nothing from the center terminal (signal line). Any other suggestions??

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

you wouldnt get anything unless the motor was spinning. it is a hall effect sensor and will put out a pulse type of signal. what you could do is rotate the motor by hand an watch a meter on the signal terminal and see if it toggles lo to hi or the other way around.

without the cam sensor, you should not have any fuel injection timing and spark. did you use a mopar cap & rotor?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing when I rebuilt my engine. Pop off the cap and rotor and remove the sensor. Clean it up and clean the electrical connections on the plus and connector. Use di-electric grease on the connections and reconnect. Should work like a champ.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Boamax

Whats the best way to clean each end?? Why did this happen when I did the plenum pan kit???

Old 11-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Did you re-install the distributor in exactly the same position? (assuming you removed it) If your off by a significant amount, CMP/CKP correlation will be way off. Real common problem with Chevy Vortec's after plenum replacement. Dist gets stabbed a tooth off and viola, CMP code. Unlike GM, dodge distributors can't be a tooth off (unless you remove the drive gear. Also unlike GM, the dodge distributor can be rotated, which will give the same result.

Make sure the engine is on TDC of the compression stroke for # 1 with the crank timing marks at 0, and then check tosee that the rotor is aligned with the #1 mark on the CMP plate.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: Boamax

Whats the best way to clean each end?? Why did this happen when I did the plenum pan kit???
Could be dirt/grease inside of the connector, which isn't too difficult to happen. I knew that I got the connector dirty and didn't think it would matter. Boy, was I wrong. Rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip will work, or you can get electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack. The important parts is to put di-electric grease on the connectors.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Boamax

Ok, I cleaned both ends of the sensor. I put dielectric grease on the connector end and still nothing. I never took the distributor out, I just took the cap and rotor off and replaced them. Still no spark. I am going to try putting a new sensor in, but I have a question. What else is on the same circuit as the Camshaft position sensor? I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows the sensor going directly to the PCM without anything in between. I put my meter on the plug that goes to the sensor. I am getting 5 volts on the supply line. Nothing on the middle signal line, and 5 volts on what I thought should be the ground line. What is going on? HELP!!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Could be a bad ground? Something is out of whack. Check all of the lines that run from the Cam sensor back to the CPM. You did read that properly in that the Cam sensor goes straight to the PCM. Perchance is the coil disconnected? You stated there was no spark.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Sensor Error Code