2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonic Bath for $35, clean those injectors!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Sonic Bath for $35, clean those injectors!

I ran a ton of injector cleaner through the engine a week before pulling the injectors (wrapped the fuel rail in thermotec ultra too, stuffs thick and made with fiberglass, made my hands itch when I cut it), still got a boat load of junk out of them. I suggest running some injector cleaner thru the engine before you pull 'em. It might help soften the deposits and make the ultrasonic bath go quicker. the model I bought turns itself off after about 3 min; you have to keep restarting it and it's a bit of a pain.

I'd say undiluted injector cleaner, seafoam, or even mineral spirits would be fine, just don't use anything you can't run thru the combustion chamber, cause you won't be able to shake it all out. That's why I'd imagine water wouldn't be such a great idea. oh, and make sure you get one with a stainless basin so it won't corrode

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 03-01-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:03 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any difference in MPG or performance?
I know its too early to tell for MPG, but please let me know.I might get that to fix my VW Golf.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:45 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

I like to see a before and after pic of the injector.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

Was it this unit? or the "silver deluxe" one?

[IMG]local://upfiles/80976/4E41178DB0314CB1BCFCC0505E76A380.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-12-2008, 12:23 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not that unit, mine was the round bubble looking one made by Haier, I could fit 3 injectors in the other one at the time.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found an old sonic cleaner of my grandads which is good cause i was about to go buy one. but how exactly does this work? do you jsut fill it with the mineral spirits or injector cleaner and then just soak the injectors? soudns simple enough once i clean out all the old gunk that is stuck to the bottom of it i guess i will try it!

Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

i went to wal mart and got one for 20 bucks. not as nice as that one aim but it worked good. could fit 2 injectors at a time, in a bath of seafoam. all kinds of black crud came out of them.

+1 on what shott said, i found that out the hard way when i did mine. Had to pull the rail 3 different times because a o ring was torn and would leak fuel.

and +1 on VWandDodge. Advance had felpro o rings, 4 for 2 bucks i think. The stealership... 2 for $15. [:@]

Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGRED97

i found an old sonic cleaner of my grandads which is good cause i was about to go buy one. but how exactly does this work? do you jsut fill it with the mineral spirits or injector cleaner and then just soak the injectors? soudns simple enough once i clean out all the old gunk that is stuck to the bottom of it i guess i will try it!
Fill it with mineral spirits, put an injector in there (or as many as it will hold), close it and let it cycle. Repeat as necessary, but 30 minutes should be adequate.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:56 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

Its a 2 for 1 deal silver , you clean injectors wife cleans jewelry.. but why would i want to clean injectors in a jewelry cleaner ???? I would just stick injector cleaner in the line and call it the day..
I haven't tried this but it sounds intriguing.

I would try using Seafoam, Mopar combustion Chambercleaner or GM CLEENS. Cleens and Mopar CCC are available in liquid or aerosol cans. These are the only thing I've seen thatdo a decent job of dissolving carbon.Mineral spirits will clean off all the grease but I don't know about carbon.

The silly "for life" fuel filter on this system isn't very good. On my truck it let past enough crud to completely plug a fuel injector. Running a professional pressurised injector cleaner didn't help either. I had to remove the injector and clean the inlet screen out. It was completely plugged to the top of the injector.
If it's full of rust and scale I don't think any cleaner will get it out

Removing and cleaning this way allows you to get all the crud out of the inlet side of the injector.
Plus you don't run all the junk through the injector, it should flow back out the way it came.

I'll have to try this some day

Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

its really not that hard. the main thing is keepin the o rings from tearing and causin a leak. youll be suprised to see how much crud comes out of the injectors

Quick Reply: Sonic Bath for $35, clean those injectors!