2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good road tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good road tire

That actually is exactly the kind of tires he is looking for. That is a really nice tread. I dont think I saw it in a 285 size though, good find though. If you find anything else like those, keep 'em coming! He'll appreciate your researching

Old 11-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I thought you meant for the larger ones. You can buy damn near any load E tire in a 285 size.
Since it's not diesel I'm willing to bet load D would be okay too.
If I run across any with that kind of tread design I'll post it here.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thank You for your efforts Cereal. What's your thoughts on this though? I mean it's kind of weird debate were still in. We both think a 305 would look great on his truck, but we don't want it unless its E rated. This truck is a F-350 obviously, and she has that big ole 460 big block in her, so it'd almost be stupid to get a tire thats rating would disable it from maximizing its fullest use ya know? I mean I know a 285 will look great, and will still let the vehicle be athletic. He has 3.55 gearing, and he doesn't plan to change it. He uses this vehicle frequently to towe heavy loads, so he is nervous to go any bigger than a 305 as well, especially if it isn't E rated. What do you think? Another point towards a 285, is that it will fit without any modifications. There's a slight slight chance that some custom fabrication may have to be done with the front bumper to get the 305 to fit, but we won't know until a 305 is actually tested on the truck. I guess he just wants something that is going to look badass, ya know, give it that extra monster truck look. His truck really moves good right now though, it's very quick on its feet with the 265s. I think we'd be willing to sacrifice the 305 if you guys thought it would kill performance and towing. Everyones opinion will be considered.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well,

It looks like it's going to be the Michelin LTX M/S. I've poured over reviews of everything mentioned here, and I've gotta get a tire that's going to last. I can't keep replacingthese things every 30K or less.

Michelin's got the best wear andgood or greaton traction, ride, etc. Thanks for everybody's input!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

'Ehh...I'm just not so sure on that tire. It just looks so run of the mill. I'm sure it will last just fine, but I seriouslly think you should consider that Pirelli Scorpion ATR. You will not be dissapointed. I know it's tough to think Pirelli on a truck, but it does wonders for my bros F-350, so you know it's a kickass tire right there. I'm not trying to question your decision making or anything, but I think you should consider one more time. Look it up, it's great off the roads, and VERY good in rain, snow, ice, and has excellent handeling on dry pavement. It also has a very strong sidewall, and a very attractive sidewall and white lettering. Either way, you will be ok.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
helmsa
Professional

When you are saying 305, I am assuming that you are refering to the 305/70R16. This tire is the equivilance of a 33x12 as opposed to the 285/75R16 which is approximately 33x11.25...For all the struggle that you are going to go through to find a E tire in that size just to gain .75 of an inch in width, I would just get the 285's.

Just my opinion...Family owns a tire shop, I would work out the sizing and my dad would find the tire to sell them in that size.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Oh really? I think the size was 305/75/16 v/s the 285/75/16 that we were debating between. So you think there is not a big differance between these two tires, and should just go with the 285?

Quick Reply: Good road tire