2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

List of maintance to be done soon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: List of maintance to be done soon.

HAH my bro has an e40d tranny in his 350. but yeah she has 103,000 miles. i dont know the past of the vehicle, but its best to just assume not. ill have it done though with the flush and new filter change. should fix the little glitches, thanks agian guys

Old 11-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year truck is ur bros... they were absoulute **** untill 96, then they were just partial ****... they usually go out around 110k. They also like to cook fluid hardcore so keep it changed.
Maybe in the 350's they got better cooling so it might be ok... trust me, they are alot worse than the ones these dodges have... One way to tell when its going to start to go out... with ur bros 350 its got pretty firm shifts right... them trannys lock gears hard... like if one gear locks really hard and the others dont (it wont shift as firm the higher gear you get into) but like if ur 2nd gear shift and firm and ur 1st gear shift is mushy, there is about 10k left...

Happend to my dads, uncles, and my uncle said his friends did it and ive herd other storys... all around 100k-120k

Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're going to adjust the tranny bands, you'll need a special socket, it's like an octagonal shape, (best I can describe it). Also, you'll need an in/lbs. torque wrench to set the torque correctly on the outer lock nut.Be very careful exactly howmuch you back out the adjustment screw (there's 2 bands, one comes out 3 turns the other is like 27/8's turns). I know guyshere on the forum that knocked the band anchor out of the inner band and it found itin the pan on the next change.

The process itself isn't too difficult at all, but the margin for error is pretty small. Screw it up and it'll cost you plenty.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Sirhilton17
Captain

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

If you're going to adjust the tranny bands, you'll need a special socket, it's like an octagonal shape, (best I can describe it). Also, you'll need an in/lbs. torque wrench to set the torque correctly on the outer lock nut.Be very careful exactly howmuch you back out the adjustment screw (there's 2 bands, one comes out 3 turns the other is like 27/8's turns). I know guyshere on the forum that knocked the band anchor out of the inner band and it found itin the pan on the next change.

The process itself isn't too difficult at all, but the margin for error is pretty small. Screw it up and it'll cost you plenty.
I dident know that they had a special socket, where do you get it? I may make one depending on it...

Ive adjusted several bands in several trannys and they all have been normal sockets. I guess ill have to look into this one. Ive never even had the pan off one of these trannys.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you can order it from the dealership, I've never messed with the bandspersonally.

In August I drained the tranny pan, replaced the filter, and put a drain plug in the pan. I researched here andin the FSM about the tranny bands was going to do it, and found that weird "nut." As I didn't have another car to getinto and drive around looking for it, Ijust put everything back together and said "screw it, I'll do it nextyear."

The FSM on page 2174 has the 46re band adjustmentprocedure andit shows a torx head in the adjustment screw, but I don't recall seeing it there. maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

its aclled an 8 point socket, the nut is square 5/16 IIRC, you can also use a ft/lb torque wrench if you dont have a in/lb one just divede the # in in/lbs by 12 to get ft/lbs or multiply the number in ft/lbs by 12to get in/lbs

Old 11-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Oh alright... I have those... easy enough.

I think im going to plan for it tomaorw.

Quick Reply: List of maintance to be done soon.