2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:21 AM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: straight pipes

I could be wrong but I think the difference in tones from cold startup and idle to after the truck has warmed up has to do with the PCM. I believe it has the engine running richer when it's cold and once it has warmed up to operating temperature, it runs a little leaner for normal operating conditions. My truck does the same thing. The exhaust note is deeper and louder at cold startup, but after it has warmed up to operating temperature, the sound gets a little higher pitched and a little less in volume.

I have found that a richer fuel ratio seems to cause an exhaust to have a deeper tone to it and a leaner mixture causes it to sound higher in pitch. This is very obvious on my 1400 Intruder.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LOL are you crazy man?? That sounds fricken sick both times haha. I think its just because you are used to it. I get the same way with mine. Everyone I know is like OMG it's so loud and illegal, and I'm like yeah ya think? The driver just always gets used to it and finds things they don't like about. But as a person who has never heard your truck before, it sounded like a v10 should baby, it sounds very nice. That truck reminds me of my brothers f350, he has the big 7.5L 460 gas big block. And this is what, the big 8.1L V10 gasser too rite? They are very similar, I like it. He runs a 2.5" true dual with cats and dynomax bullets. His is very loud at idle but isn't over the top at driving speeds. But when he gets on it, my goodness, that thing sounds like a drag car the way it slaps, its incredible. Get some videos of you driving by an stuff and of you taking off, those would be most helpful as well. I think she sounds good though man, it's very loud IMO.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 PM
ron333
Captain

I have to agree with 20DodgeNeon00. By not stating that I really like the way your truck sounds in my last reply, it kinda made it seem like I agreed with you on the need for improvement. This is NOT the case! Your truck does sound awesome!!! I understand though that no matter how much others like it, if you don't, then it's not good enough. It's your truck and you need to be happy with it. But before you change it any, please, as 20DodgeNeon00 requested, post a few more sound clips. I'm sure there are others that are looking for the sound that you've already achieved. By posting more sound clips in this post, it will make many others happy to finally know the magic combo.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:46 PM
wotansmopar
Rookie

Thanks guys, I'll try and get some more clips up.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

Sounds good man, very deep and throaty as I would imagine the V10 to sound. Some more vids would definitely be great. However, if it isn't the sound you are looking for, then you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyway, very nice truck and I think it sounds great.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 AM
wotansmopar
Rookie

Ok so here is my 99' V10 truck exhaust tones driving by in a 800 ft stretch of road (too many stop signs in my block). First one is from cold start backing up out of the driveway and reverse down to the closest stop sign, then accerrating to the end of the road (mostly snow covered hence the inconsistent tone), then driving back into driveway. second one is starting on the street and driving to and past closest stop sign then comming back to the farthest stopsign, and comming back. The third video is what my truck sounds like going around the block with the windows down and the truck is warmed up. Now as you can probably tell, the v10 is loud within 50-75 feet of the recording point but is pretty quiet farther out and comming toward the recording source is quiet. Tell me what you guys think.

Exterior drive by 1: http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...vbytruckex.flv

Exterior drive by 2: http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/wotankuei/?action=view¤t=drvbytruckex2.flv
Interior driving: http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/wotankuei/?action=view¤t=intertrucex.flv

Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

I don't know man, I think it sounds good. I wouldn't suggest putting the glasspacks on there as it probably wouldn't make it any louder and the sound wouldn't be quite as good, in my opinion anyway and with the experience I've had with glasspacks. You could probably gut the cat or get rid of it completely and it would definitely make it louder. I'd say if louder is what you really want, that's your best bet.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:03 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Wow, it's scary, your truck actually sounds like a DIESEL, its pretty neat. Well here is my opinion, I think I know what you are talking about. I know shes loud persay, but I know it could be a lot louder. Like I said, there is no reason why my 5.9L v8 should be louder than your v10 ya know? I think you should gut them cats (that is if you are into that, some ppl find it morally wrong). Then, I think you should either get some kind of flowmaster muffler, or a dynomax bullet, this way the exhaust is forced to go through some kind of muffler that is going to give it a signature tone. I like straight pipes, but I think they lack definition at times. I truly think this is the best example though...my brother, he has a ford f-350 with a 7.5L v8. He runs a 2.5" true dual with "dynomax bullets". It sounds phenomenal, no cracking, just raw beauty, and when he's on it, OMG!! Here is a sound clip. Keep in mind he has cats right now too. Imagine what it will sound like when he gets the long tube headers for x-mas and he guts the cats, it's going to be sick. Your engine is bigger, so it should only sound louder. I say gut your cats, and buy a dynomax bullet, they are like $30, and this way you'll get great flow still and a nice tone. Watch this clip to get a feel for this. I got one of it starting up, one revving, and one from inside the cab. Feel free to check out his other ones, but you get the idea. I only compare his to yours because you guys both have giant gas engines, and yours is even bigga, so it should be even kewler man!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tRUvcP9ZM5w
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wepb7_7gJ...eature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_SP-6v9xtQ

Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 AM
v10power
Professional

Hey, I got a 96 ram 3500 dually with the hog of a v10 and i got straight pipes in mine. Mine is loud all the time except when i level out and cruise. Its wierd someone saying something about his sounding like a diesel because they claim they get me confused with them all the time. I love the way my truck sounds and drives only if i could get it to pass a gas station atleast once a drive.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
marionso14
Professional

granted straight pipes are super loud, i like the nice rumble of a flowmaster with dual outs with decent sized tips like 3.5 or 4. low rumble when ya want, and loud when you want

Quick Reply: straight pipes