2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension on the "off-road" edition.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 AM
bobboraze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension on the "off-road" edition.

So I've been trying to find out more info yet can't seem to come across any specific details.

On the off-road edition: In the front, is it a different set of springs and then longer shocks? In the rear, is it the same leaf springs as the sport model, just with a taller spacer? That being all the factory lift consists of?

Anyway I've been looking to pick up an off-road edition and I'd like to start with evening out the rear end. Though if I purchase the standard shackles/spacers whatever, it would probably be made for the reg/sport thus lowering the rear too much. ??

Though in general I really don't care for the 2" lift. I honestly think the sport height is perfect. Could I simply swap springs/shocks with ones leftover from a sport? Or is there an easier way all together? (without cutting/heating etc)

Sorry buncha different questions but if anyone has any info/thoughts on all this let me know!

Last edited by bobboraze; 12-19-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:07 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bobboraze
So I've been trying to find out more info yet can't seem to come across any specific details.

On the off-road edition: In the front, is it a different set of springs and then longer shocks? In the rear, is it the same leaf springs as the sport model, just with a taller spacer? That being all the factory lift consists of?

Anyway I've been looking to pick up an off-road edition and I'd like to start with evening out the rear end. Though if I purchase the standard shackles/spacers whatever, it would probably be made for the reg/sport thus lowering the rear too much. ??

Though in general I really don't care for the 2" lift. I honestly think the sport height is perfect. Could I simply swap springs/shocks with ones leftover from a sport? Or is there an easier way all together? (without cutting/heating etc)

Sorry buncha different questions but if anyone has any info/thoughts on all this let me know!

The front has different coils and the rear has a different leaf pack (one more leaf). And yes, they have different shocks.

Other than that I dont know what you are asking. You want to get the height of a regular, non-off road ram? I supose you would have to swap springs. I you just swapped the rear leafs with a regular dodge it would probably sit quite level with the off road coils.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into this several months back, as I had the opportunity to buy a complete off-road stock suspension. (which I didn't) Anyway, I think the difference in Off-Road and regular is 1.5". Also, the other day someone on here said that Sports are not any higher than the regular 4x4's. Like olyelr said, if you just swap rear leafs with a reg 4x4 truck, you should sit pretty level.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, the other day someone on here said that Sports are not any higher than the regular 4x4's
Right, the Sport is just an appearance thing, the only 1500 that would sit higher than another would be the Off-Road, which is about 2 inches higher than a non Off-Road 4x4.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

does anyone know where i can get a set of the offroad springs and stuff for my truck cause i was going to buy a 2 or 3 inch lift kit for mine but if i can put somehat stock stuff on my truck, i will. and how expencive do you think that ould be because i can just buy some new longer shocks.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

bump... anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

I dont know if you look around on Pavementsucks.com, but there is a guy who wants to trade his 3" coils and shocks for stock stuff. Didnt look where he was located though.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

i really need to get to a part of this pavment sucks site. i here so much about it. but i have yet to get on it... but thanks

Old 12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Just get on there and search around a bit, you dont have to be a member. But Im warning you, its as addicting as this site

Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea for some reason this site is really addicting, and i got onto pavment sucks, and it is also very addictive, so i am waiting to become a member of that one now too. but does nyone know how hard it would be to put those suspention items ( offroad springs and leafs) on my truck ( 98 sport), and can it handle the very bad abuse i put my suspention through?

Quick Reply: Suspension on the "off-road" edition.