2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

will a cold air intake increase you mpg? & a few other ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: will a cold air intake increase you mpg? & a few other ?'s

ORIGINAL: SilverRam_01

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

y not do the round filter? i had that on my second gen and found it to be the best for performance... as stated before your not really gonna see much in mpg no matter what you use....
Wouldn't the round filter be sucking in hot ait off the top of the motor? Wouldn't that decrease performance?
Not really. There's so much airflow through the giant grills on or trucks, and all kinds of air comes in from underneath the truck. The air on top of the motor isn't THAT much hotter than it would be 6 inches from the motor.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 AM
SilverRam_01
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh okay. That actually makes alot of sense. The air on top actually probably would be colder than the air right next to the manifold, where some of those 'other' CAIs pu the filter.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

KN # 57-1503-1 is a open A/C and 50 state legal... i think ill ditch my CAI and go with the A/C since every one likes how they work but im gonna take some measures and maybe fit a 4-6" tall KN filter on it.. then ill be getting a cowl hood that only makes sense

Old 12-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion

I'm going to be doing a 3" body lift instead of going full suspension specifically because of that. and if you get the cowl hood you could possibly even fit a taller filter in there. A functional scoop could onlybenefit this kind of setup as well.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 AM
petekf4qoe
Rookie

Hey thanks for all of the input guys. I think the round ac is what I am going to do along with the headers and exhaust. I will post when I get it done and let you know what results I get. It will probably be after christmas before I get it done though.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:36 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you think that aftermarket air filter improve MPG
or if you have read dozens of times about how dirty air filters hurt MPG
on modern EFI engines,
it will be well worth your time
to pick up the January issue of Hot Rod magazine
and read the 'Pit Stop' section.
The Pit Stop section is where long time engine builder Marlan Davis
answers technical and parts questions readers send in.

In the January issue
Marlan Davis admits that he incorrectly answered a previous question,
and he calls in an expert friend of his from 'EFI University' who specializes in
electronic fuel injection conversion of older muscle cars.
http://www.efi101.com/

All three of these guys with extensive experience and expertise
end up agreeing
that air filters...either clean or dirty....
have very little MPG effect on modern engines
and that dirty air filters cause a vehicle to act similar
to when the weather air pressure changes
or
when the vehicle climbs up to a higher altitude.

It is a sign of Marlan Davis' commitment to truth
that he admitted that he answered the previous question imperfectly
and that he publicly corrected the answer when challenged by an alert reader from Canada.
Marlan Davis could have just 'buried' the mistake
but he did not. Kudos to him!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

Well, at the very least, it will be easier to change than the stock air cleaner. My 95 is a pain. I do not know if they fixed this after 95, but I have to do a little song and dance to align it all up.

Make sure you get a cool decal for it!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HankL

and that he publicly corrected the answer when challenged by an alert reader from Canada.
hahaha takes canuck to pick up on it eh lol.....sorry but i had tochuckle when i read that part

Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Ole Goat
Professional

In reading all the replies to these different types of Air Filters, I have a question. I am considering buying one of these bolt on Cold Air Filters, "K&N" type for 2 reasons. First off is the power increase, second the MPG.
I'm past the stage where acceration off the line is an issue. I'm more interested in the 2 benefits that these "K&N" filters offer, or lay claim to. I pull a tandem car trailer, and do a lot of driving. As some of you know pulling a trailer in O/D, isn't a good idea. I run most of the time on cruise where or when possible, and depending on the wind direction MPG is an issue. I have a 94 Ram 1500 Magnum 5.2. This Truck has supprised the hell out of me, as I was always a Ford owner. My ford days as far as a daily driver ended with the 89 F-250 I had, a bad piece of junk.
I needed a Truck and the Ram was available and I bought it. This Truck pulls better than my Ford did and with better MPG. So ending my History of 2 different Trucks.
I am interested in knowing if the "K&N", Cold Air Filter, will improvethe performance of my Ram, in both MPG, and HP. I am baseing this on my driving habits, asI have mentioned above. Looking for an answer to this and what should I expect in these areas. I put on around the 20,000 miles yearly, thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

just doing the filter alone as in stock replacment then no you wont see a thing , if you want to spend some cheese on a CAI then its kinda worth it..my self im running the Airaid cold air intake and it did help but i also have the exhaust , ignition ... 1 mod helps the other. Mr silver is running the open elm air cleaner as others are to and my self (soon) with great reviews.. but to get the full use out of it you gotta do other mods .. if you did other mods great !!! , go for the open elm. round AC.

Quick Reply: will a cold air intake increase you mpg? & a few other ?'s