2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My cam swap thread :: UPDATE:: IT RUNS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: My cam swap thread

rock on dude.. im siked.. what recomended break in from comp?

what made you decided from B&G then SCT?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: shott8283

rock on dude.. im siked.. what recomended break in from comp?

what made you decided from B&G then SCT?
I decided on SCT, my wallet decided on B&G. Something I know Im going to regret eventually, but once I get some more coin, im sellin the b/g and gettin an sct.

Standard break in procedure. Start it up, idle at 2500 for 15 min (Im actually going a step further and following the break in procedure for flat tappets, 15 min 2500, and a half hour at 1500.) Using delo diesel oil. 2 gallons for freekin $22!!! thats cheep!

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

Oh, I thought you had already done it once for some reason, but I must be thinking of someone else. Either way at this point in my life money spent on mechanics is money lost on tools to do jobs myself which in turn equals more money spent on mechanics, and thus creates a snowball effect...

Also I'm diggin the orange intake manifold...

How long did it take you to get the old cam out?
nope, not me. I hear ya about the tools.

I cant wait to get the intake bolted down and clean up the engine bay to get some freekin pics out there!

Took me about an hour to pull the cam itself. Most of the time was fighting with lifters. The oil decided to freeze and not let me take them out. Some of the others had to go out through the bottom once I pulled the cam because of clearance issues with the head. The cam itself was about 5 min just takin it slow and easy. The cam inspection hole allows you to hold up the rear of the cam as you take it out so you can get a perfect angle on it, SO MUCH BETTER THAN CHEVYS!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Still waitin on the last few things...feels like forever! I put the rocker studs in today, and later tonight I will be rebuilding the posi unit.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Lifters came in, just waitin on the pcm which should be here today as well :-)

Edit:: Computer is in, now Im just waiting for daylight!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Well, today went much slower than I figgured. I overslept till 2 today so light wasnt plentiful.I spent the day switching out the stock valve springs with the new ones. The new ones ... so much better. Those things are gonna stop float like crazy. Also swapped the keyway from the old cam to the new one. If I get bored later tonight Im gonna put the lifters and cam in, and prolly the pushrods and rockers, so tomorrow all i have to do is adjust the valves and put it back together. I also lost half a valve lock someplace so I have to locate that tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, this reminds me of the Head/Cam swap on my camaro that went south. 8,000 dollars i put into the top end (minus camshaft)of a bottom end that wasn't worth a nickel.

Good call on the 3/8. 5/16ths are an arm and a leg. The only thing is you may not be able to torque the bolts down because they will be too big and basically "touch" the head bolts couldn't even get a thin walled socket around it.I hope Mopar thought of that. But then again, the Twisted Wedge heads weren't user friendly.

Are the springs dual springs? With that lift they should be dual.

Also with the rockers. I went with 1.52 exh 1.6 intake for my chevy. Closes the exhaust sooner. Basically a more complex way of doing things to gain .5 HP.

This makes me wonder if they make timing gears for the magnum. People will think you have a blower, and you will get a headache from hearing the whine on long trips.

This seems like it will be awesome!!!

The only stumble i see is the size of the stud bolt head in relation to the rocker stud bolt. And issues with the roller rocker geometry. But those can be overcome. Curious to see how the computer handles it.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im still up in the air on what i want to do with my little 5.2 .. was gonna do 1.7 roller rockers but i mite do the cam. i mite do the stroker kit to my 5.2 and turn it into a 392. hell i have no clue.. alot of thinking , money , time.. its either all or nothing..

Old 01-12-2008, 08:21 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

CPTAFW163, The rocker stud conversion kit fits perfectly fine. It is made specifically for converting magnum bolts to 3/8 studs. They arent screw in in the typical sence probably for that reason. You screw them on by placing a jam nut on, and then a polylock ontop of that and tighten it to 25 that way. As for the computer I sent that out to be recal'd for my setup. I hope it doesnt give me any issues during break in.

Thought you were goin 1.7s? What happened?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Started at 5 this mornin and prepped the whole truck for gettin goin today. Just threw the cam in and now I have to wait for the parts stores to open so I can get some more delo to soak the lifters because I forgot to before I threw it in.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:59 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: My cam swap thread *UPDATE*

So today I put everything back together, and all I had left was to fill up with coolant and connect the battery, and while I was filling up with coolant I noticed a large leak .... what do ya know the water pump shaft is ****ed ...so now I have to tear it down again and return the pump. Napa is steadily loosing favor with me.

Quick Reply: My cam swap thread :: UPDATE:: IT RUNS!!!