2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MSD 6a spark plug gap and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default MSD 6a spark plug gap and rough idle

Hey all,

2 questions,

YesterdayI installed a 6a box on the truck and I didn't have a chance to pull the plugs and regap them to .045, which is what I believe is generally recommended (so currently running .040 gap). What exactly is the benefit of opening the gap up more than stock?

I've noticed my idle is a little smoother and moderate to heavy acceleration is slightly smoother and faster, but I still have a slight wobbly idle (the rpms wobble by about 50 at idle and the engine isa little rough sounding, but doesn't hiccup as much as it did before.) I also noticed that it bogs for just a second at light acceleration, like it takes the truck a second to figure out I just barely stepped on the gas.

I've replaced the IAC valve/motor as I was a little worried I had damaged it whenI tried to clean it before Iput it on my Fastman in July(no change). I have also checked the TPS and modded it to get a steady .73V (peppy throttle response, but still rough idle). Thisidle thing has been happening for quite a while and I can't seem to track it down.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MSD 6a spark plug gap and rough idle

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Hey all,

2 questions,

YesterdayI installed a 6a box on the truck and I didn't have a chance to pull the plugs and regap them to .045, which is what I believe is generally recommended (so currently running .040 gap). What exactly is the benefit of opening the gap up more than stock?

I've noticed my idle is a little smoother and moderate to heavy acceleration is slightly smoother and faster, but I still have a slight wobbly idle (the rpms wobble by about 50 at idle and the engine isa little rough sounding, but doesn't hiccup as much as it did before.) I also noticed that it bogs for just a second at light acceleration, like it takes the truck a second to figure out I just barely stepped on the gas.

I've replaced the IAC valve/motor as I was a little worried I had damaged it whenI tried to clean it before Iput it on my Fastman in July(no change). I have also checked the TPS and modded it to get a steady .73V (peppy throttle response, but still rough idle). Thisidle thing has been happening for quite a while and I can't seem to track it down.
cant answer your other problem , but i can answer your MSD question bigger gap is for more complete burn of the gas which returns slighty better HP , mpg... 01 factory is .040 i would gap it at .050 , .060 is the max gap... on my 96 factory gap is .035 right now im running at .045 , soon im gonna try .050 , .055 .060 always gap at .05 till you find the best burn on the plug , power , ect. , ect .. is your cap and rotor good ? brass caps ? plug wires ?only use certian plug wires with the MSD 6a.. (Heli-Core Ignition Wires )....even tho you dont need a ballest to use the coil with the msd 6a , you mite need to use the msd #8910 Tach Adapter ....

Old 12-07-2007, 04:38 AM
2k10HemiRam
Captain

A little off topic here but staying on the MSD path...I just got my blaster 3 coil and I'm doing what some people suggested to do awhile ago and I'm just installing the coil, no 6a box. Now the paper that came with it says that if you are doing a stock points ignition, like what I'm doing, that you need a ballast resistor but in the topic awhile back where people were saying to just buy the accel harness and blaster 3 coil, no one ever mentioned the ballast resistor. So what I'm wonderin really is does anyone that has the stock points ignition set up actually have a ballast resistor installed? or not? The answer is probably going to be yes but I figured I'd ask first just to see. The resistor is only 7 bucks and with a coupon I got for shucks I can probably get it for free.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 AM
v10power
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless i'm mistaken but on my hot rods the only way i needed to run a resistor is if there was a points ignition, and if i'm still not mistaken your ram should have electric ignition. So in my thought process you shouldn't need it anyways. But then again i'm still sorta new to this dodge creature and things seem to be differnt from time to time. I hope all was accurate and it is some help too you!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Eric99ram

A little off topic here but staying on the MSD path...I just got my blaster 3 coil and I'm doing what some people suggested to do awhile ago and I'm just installing the coil, no 6a box. Now the paper that came with it says that if you are doing a stock points ignition, like what I'm doing, that you need a ballast resistor but in the topic awhile back where people were saying to just buy the accel harness and blaster 3 coil, no one ever mentioned the ballast resistor. So what I'm wonderin really is does anyone that has the stock points ignition set up actually have a ballast resistor installed? or not? The answer is probably going to be yes but I figured I'd ask first just to see. The resistor is only 7 bucks and with a coupon I got for shucks I can probably get it for free.
the part # of the coil will be helpful...but no you dont need it , if you want to install ballast so it makes all warm and fuzzy sure...
if you install ss blaster 8207 alone then yes
If installing the Blaster SS Coil to a points distributor or a non-current limiting ignition
system without an MSD Ignition, a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor is required (MSD PN
8214). The resistor should wire in series along with any factory resistors on the positive
coil wire. Now the question is , is the stock ingition current ? or limited ignition ? or a non limited ignition ? ..

Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain

Guess I should have mentioned that I am new to this whole auto mechanic thing so I have no idea what a stock point ignition is but from the two replies I got already, I'm not going to buy it. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

cant answer your other problem , but i can answer your MSD question bigger gap is for more complete burn of the gas which returns slighty better HP , mpg... 01 factory is .040 i would gap it at .050 , .060 is the max gap... on my 96 factory gap is .035 right now im running at .045 , soon im gonna try .050 , .055 .060 always gap at .05 till you find the best burn on the plug , power , ect. , ect .. is your cap and rotor good ? brass caps ? plug wires ?only use certian plug wires with the MSD 6a.. (Heli-Core Ignition Wires )....even tho you dont need a ballest to use the coil with the msd 6a , you might need to use the msd #8910 Tach Adapter ....
I've been running the Superconductor wires and Blaster 3 coil without a resistor for a month before I could afford the 6A box. No issues there. Caphas brass contacts and was replaced 3K ago. Plugs are less thana weekold, dumped the plats I had in there before the 6A box arrived.

I'll give .050 a try and see how she burns. Still can't figure out this rough idle, maybe its a ground problem.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aim,
You know me and my stock habits. Maybe a different plug may be in order? Stock temp range? Truck plugs?
Have you checked the pulgs for burn/wear? Maybe a bad cyl.,Inj., compression? I don't know, just throwing stuff out there. Did you have the idle problem before the fastman?
Say, just realized...you did the cps mod. Was this before or after?
WC

Old 12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

The idle was "bouncy" before I did the CPS mod. I think it was around the time I installed the electric fans which is why I'm leaning toward a bad ground. I've heard that the trucks computer can get a little wonky if the grounds aren't good.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

aim these problems you been having start before the mods or after the mods ? or during the mods ? LOL.. some one beat me to the question .. Yes check your ground or grounds ..with running the MSD ignition allways want to run a cooler plug ...

Quick Reply: MSD 6a spark plug gap and rough idle