2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I hate all of you for having easy trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007 | 12:51 PM
ICEMAN_CH
|
All Star
Default I hate all of you for having easy trucks

Does any one else have a CA emissions truck? Basically like I’ve explained before I get to have two cats instead of one. I could run true dual very easily. My muffler is a DI/SO . I also have four, yes four O2 sensors. It’s like twice the fun for half the performance. So here’s the question does anyone know what it is going to take to install pacesetter long tubes? Or should I forget about the hassle and install shorties and have the Cat-back reworked for true duals. I think it would be sweet to install LT with true duals since I’m already halfway there. If I do the long tubes could I put the cats on right after the headers and then y-pipe, then muffler, then tips? I will probably gut the cats while I’m there. I’d love to just throw the damn things away but I don’t think I can get an exhaust shop to do the work without them.

Old 12-11-2007 | 01:50 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional
Default RE: I hate all of you for having easy trucks

u need to find someone that wil write off your smog..

theres a guy near me that does it for all my friends..

my friend is running a datsun 280Z with a 383 stroker and it "passed" smog =]

Old 12-11-2007 | 02:46 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

You don't need a "Y-pipe" for true duals. The Y pipe is for running the headers into a single exhaust.

Old 12-11-2007 | 02:57 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran

You don't need a "Y-pipe" for true duals. The Y pipe is for running the headers into a single exhaust.
But you would need an x pipe or h pipe i believe. to equalize the pressure on both sides of the exhaust. someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 12-11-2007 | 03:06 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

You don't "need" it per say, but definetly helps the flow. I'm sure everyone on here who has had both with tell you it's better with an x pipe than without.

Old 12-11-2007 | 03:17 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

U cant go to long tubes... you wont pass the smog ****'s... your best bet is to do shorties and bigger exhaust tubing all the way. also, you have 3 cats... check under the passenger side floorboard... if it's missing, someone already cut it out and you could have issues at smog time.

Old 12-11-2007 | 03:20 PM
ICEMAN_CH
|
All Star

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

U cant go to long tubes... you wont pass the smog ****'s... your best bet is to do shorties and bigger exhaust tubing all the way. also, you have 3 cats... check under the passenger side floorboard... if it's missing, someone already cut it out and you could have issues at smog time.
That third one isn't a cat. It's a resonator I beleive. I'll be living in SC and they don't do smog. Hell they might not even check anything. My problem is getting a shop to do the work without the cats. I doubt any shop would do it without them. After the exhaust is done I'll be cutting them off anyways.

Old 12-11-2007 | 03:35 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

no you wont be cutting them off , unless you want head aches , lost power , throw CEL , MPG will drop.. the so called cali trucks must be in every state ? cause my 01 dakota have 2 cats after the exhaust manifold then theres a resonator but even in pa alot of shops wont mess with it , after the resonator sure its all game... but all trucks from 98 on up maybe 2000 and up? i gotta check but they all have 1 cat after each manifold .. its not cali.. its the EPA and tough laws they put on trucks . plus those stock cats that are on your truck flow pretty damn good i would not dump em..

Old 12-11-2007 | 03:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Nope, it is a cat. verified it one day while working on my exhaust.

Old 12-11-2007 | 03:40 PM
ICEMAN_CH
|
All Star

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

no you wont be cutting them off , unless you want head aches , lost power , throw CEL , MPG will drop.. the so called cali trucks must be in every state ? cause my 01 dakota have 2 cats after the exhaust manifold then theres a resonator but even in pa alot of shops wont mess with it , after the resonator sure its all game... but all trucks from 98 on up maybe 2000 and up? i gotta check but they all have 1 cat after each manifold .. its not cali.. its the EPA and tough laws they put on trucks . plus those stock cats that are on your truck flow pretty damn good i would not dump em..
Check your build sheet and the manual in the merry christmas thread. It's not a specific year it's a dealer option. My build sheet says CA emision and Low Emisions vehicle. If you look in the emision section of the tech manual there is 4 differnt exhaust setups for these trucks. My truck was orginally bought in AZ. I don't know why anyone would order a truck with a more restrictive exhaust setup.

Quick Reply: I hate all of you for having easy trucks