2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help adjusting valves.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:32 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help adjusting valves.

My buddy and I are working on his 68 chevelle today and we finally got the motor all back together and all we have to do is adjust the valves and set the timing. We were able to adjust most of the valves in the proper manner (not half at a time, one at a time). We were having a problem with getting the pushrods taught on the #7/4 exhaust valves, and the #2 intake valve. We set them all to .002 lash. After we figgured out the slack in the #4 and #2 we had number 7, and then we cranked it over and then we noticed more than half had slack in them. Any ideas on taking out the slack? (poly locks were the cause of the number 4 and 2 not tightening)

Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Help adjusting valves.

You may need to replace the nuts, so they will stay tight. To adjust the push rods, you will to have the motor running. Back off the nuts holding the rocker arms until the rocker start to make a clicking sound and turn the nut 1 to 1 1/2 turns.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: master tech

You may need to replace the nuts, so they will stay tight. To adjust the push rods, you will to have the motor running. Back off the nuts holding the rocker arms until the rocker start to make a clicking sound and turn the nut 1 to 1 1/2 turns.
The nuts stay tight, they arent the problem.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove all spark plugs. I like to start on number one cylinder. When the intake just barely closes adjust the exhaust on that cyl. When the exhaust just starts to open adjust the intake on same cyl. Time consuming but it works.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I have always done it with the motor running. The motor will start with all rockers having slop. Continue to tighten a quarter turn at a time until they are quiet. Then one at a time back it off until you get a slight chatter then tighten till quiet plus a quarter turn. Same concept as the others just explained a little different.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:56 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: charlie1935

Remove all spark plugs. I like to start on number one cylinder. When the intake just barely closes adjust the exhaust on that cyl. When the exhaust just starts to open adjust the intake on same cyl. Time consuming but it works.
I appriciate the help, but that wasnt my question. I know how to adjust valves, but the problem we are having is that the pushrods arent hitting the rockers almost like some are a half inch short (the motor ran before with the same pushrods so we didnt replace them with ones that are too short, though I was not thereforthe motors firstassembaly)

Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
greenmachine
All Star

Didnt accidently pick up a few stray pushrods? Is this a new cam install? Check the lobes. Collapsed lifter maybe?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Sounds like some collapsed lifters to me, or, is it a small block or big block? Big blocks have different length pushrods for intake and exhaust, Trying to remember but I *think* the intake rods are longer. On a small block they are the same length.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

I figgure its a colapsed lifter as well, but its been so bitter cold and windy here that we are waiting to pull the intake off again.

(small block, and we are just reinstalling the heads after porting)

Quick Reply: Help adjusting valves.