2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Biggest Mystery in Dodge Forum History

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM
arcsum68
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Biggest Mystery in Dodge Forum History

Leave it in there longer, most people say at least a few hours, I did 2 treatments which were both overnight. This did nothing to fix my problem, but it did idle smoother when it wasnt missing and the injectors were REALLY clean when I finally took it apart.
If you replaced the #5 for the #8, this would be exactly what I went through, kinda funny reading through it, I feel for ya.
I think its safe to say its NOT the biggest myster ever though, sorry.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is will the "butterfly's " on the TB be open enough at idleto pour it in there?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcss8541

That's what my friend said. Like I stated earlier in the post I was running Iridium skp plugs which I found out were too " hot " for my ignition system. I bought a can of Sea Foam yesterday and one of the proceedures was to SLOWLY pour 1/3 of the 160z can into the TB while the engine was warm and running . Then shut down the engine wait 5 minutes then restart. This procedure is to clean the valves. What do you think?
Honestly? I think you're throwing dollars away at saving nickels. Don't take this the wrong way, but the way I see it, you're spending a buck here and a buck there at all of these snake oil cures rather than addressing the problem head-on. I do not know your situation if you have a backup vehicle or not, but if it were me, and I had the means of alternate transporation worked out, then that head would be off after I exhausted the other possible causes. You've already moved the injector, which was a smart, simple means of elimination one problem. Also, are you certain that the injector is properly receiving the pulse, and that there isn't a problem with that injector lead?

Now, I am sure there are people who have had good luck with Seafoam, but if you've ever seen carbon buildup in an engine, you would know that nothing short of a chisel won't remove that stuff. You could have a broken valve spring, which is causing the valve to stick, which is causing the misfire. In this case, my opinion is to yank the head for inspection, fluxing, and possible rebuilding.

*BAM* Just like that.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Roger That. I will have to do this on a weekend which my friend and I have done many times before. As far as fluxing goes we live in a small town and I would have to find someone that has that machine. My compression is good at 150. Let's say that my problem is excessive carbon buildup on the valve(s) then do I clean them ( and how ) or replace them? I don't have a problem pulling the head off my issue is if there is damage then I'm not going to put it back on until I get enough $ to buy a new one.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcss8541

Roger That. I will have to do this on a weekend which my friend and I have done many times before. As far as fluxing goes we live in a small town and I would have to find someone that has that machine. My compression is good at 150. Let's say that my problem is excessive carbon buildup on the valve(s) then do I clean them ( and how ) or replace them? I don't have a problem pulling the head off my issue is if there is damage then I'm not going to put it back on until I get enough $ to buy a new one.
Take them to the nearest machine shop that can run them through a tank.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Roger That VW and thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Biggest Mystery in Dodge Forum History