2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Biggest Mystery in Dodge Forum History

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Biggest Mystery in Dodge Forum History

Greetings again everyone,
If you'll remember I have a been posting an ongoing problem witha CEL= Cylinder #5 Misfire. Well I have followed everyone's advice and the problem still exists. Here's a list of things I've done: Replaced the following parts= Cap, Rotor, Spk Plugs, Wires, Fuel Injector, Upper and Lower INtake Gasket, TPS, IAC valve, Replaced coolant Temp Sensor,Checked the rocker arms for proper torque, checked the fuel injector for pulse, Rerouted spk pulg wires and still no results. There was a suggestion to replace the Crank position sensor, Cam Sensor, and Possibly the entire distributor however I was advised against this by Dodge mechanics because they said these items would not concentrate on just 1 cyclinder there would either be multiple cyclinder misfires or the problem would jump around. They said the Crank sensor reads the "teeth" on the flywheel and "hits" on one for timing. I forgot the proper terminology. Now my truck has a definite miss as if there was a spk plug wire that was removed however this goes down when the engine warms up or when drving. If any of you guys have any ides we've missed then it would be greatly appreciated. These guys have been working on Dodges for yrs and they are stumped. One suggested redoing the intake gasket however this problem was corrected after the original work was done.
Now I did replace the spk plugs because I had iridium Autolites in however they stated my particular ignition system was not " hot " enough for thiose types of plugs. I though I might have clogged the injuector because right before the noticeable miss I had been running my tank VERY low for a few days but we put in a new injector and the problem stayed.
I know this is long but hopefully you guys can understand. My truck is a 98 Ram 1500 4X4 with a 360 (5.9L) V-8. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 AM
greenmachine
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Biggest Mystery in Dodge Forum History

I had a leak at my header and got the same cel but at the #1. Exactly were the leak was located.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
mcss8541
All Star

I do have an exhaust leak at that location and will try changing the exhaust manifold gasket.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

try looking for small cracks around your headers too

Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
mcss8541
All Star

No headers yet my friend just O.E. exhaust manifold however I am working on getting a set of shorties by Edelbrock.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:12 AM
my1500.net
Rookie

Have you done a compression test to make sure that 1 cylinder is not low/lower than the others

Old 12-18-2007, 11:35 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

what did the spark plug look like when you pulled it ?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM
arcsum68
Professional

I had a constant misfire on #8 that would go away within minutes of the truck warming up, replaced the heads this weekend and the problem was resolved.
I cant explain why it goes away when warming up, but it did.
Those stock heads are very prone to cracking, especially if the cat gets plugged up and over heats the exhaust.
Any pinging?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 PM
FRUITPORTCAT

Just finished up on doing my second set of heads to fix this type problem. One was a 97 5.2 with a #6 miss and the other a 99 3.9 with a #4 miss. found a crack in the valve seat area of the head. No coolant loss really, good compression etc. Put new heads on both and cured it. Before doing the heads did all the norm plugs,wires,swapping inj. even the plenum gasket-no fix. So kinda be prepared to pull the heads.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Yes Sir compression is 150

Quick Reply: Biggest Mystery in Dodge Forum History