2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

**Update** Headers are HERE-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ALRIGHT...FINALLY HEADERS ON WAY

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

LMAO, well said. I just don't got anywhere to do it though. The best place I have is out in the street in the freeeeezing cold lol. And I aint waiting for summer to get these suckers in! Hmmm....If i can find a garage for the day, I will try it!

where do you think im doing my cam swap? i can only store parts in my garage. I just get on some big old coats and get wrenchin.
If you where closer it would be in my nice warm garage , then you would be done in a day

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PA that'd be awesome. I could really use your help too! Too bad you live too far away.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Go get a good carhart jacket and insulated bibs. You'll be sweating your butt off.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He's definetly right about the carharts.

And there's no way you should pay anyone 250 dollars to switch out some bolts and gaskets when you already have the new ones in your possession. I mean it's your money and it's up to you, but that's another 200 bucks you could be spending on your fastman TB or whatever you want to get next.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:33 PM
v10power
Professional

Its about 33 degrees in michigan and keeps snowing on and off and i'm putting the injectors and upper back on my V10 today out in the weather. If you love your truck the weather wouldn't bother you. Basic set of hand tools is about all you need for a header swap. That gives you and excuse to start building up on your tool set so you can tackle more jobs later. I would be outside bare butt in 0 degrees if my truck needed me too. Just my 2 cents, and no i wasn't trying to be a ***.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional

ORIGINAL: SilverRam_01
I'm puttin headers on my vuddies lifted '84 chevy tomorrow. We're in the process of getting crazy amounts of rain here, we're supposed to get around 6 inches tomorrow, from 3 am to like 3 pm, and I have to do them in my driveway. It's also flash flooding with 50-60 mph winds. We both want to get them on so bad we're gonna run it open headers for two weeks until he can afford to have it all welded up and buy a y-pipe:P And his truck cae from the bay area, so we're gonna have to soak it all down with PB blaster first. I know your truck's not rusting apart
yeah we got about 5.5" here yesterday in dublin =O

but yeah i agree with everyone else, just install it yourself, and then if you want/need it welded together its ALOT cheaper to just take it down and have them do just that.

personally when i get my long tubes they will just be clamped together cuase i have to remove them every 2 year for SMOG >.<

Old 01-05-2008, 02:19 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mechanics have families too, and they need to eat. Here is what would happen to me if I tried to take of the exahust manifold: The hardest to reach bolts would snap off. I do not have a bolt extractor. I could eventually get the job done, but at massive pain to my back. Why does this happen? Because God loves me, and wants to see if I will lose (and loose)my temper on an inanamate object.

I did my waterpump, but let my mechanic come get my truck(died in garage) when the fuel pump went out. Yes, I could have done it, but I went to work, and when I got home, it was ready. I have pulled axel shafts, radiators, done brakes, starters, etc. Sodid my dad. Now he has all his work done.His time is worth something in retirement, and mechanics need topay bills too.

I am the first one to save money on stuff because I am a tightwad. Certain things need to be left to the professionals. Also, the scaley rust that comes off of the exhaust is dangerous to your eyes! Once this is done, it will be done. You can feel good that you helped someone else out in the process!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

Mechanics have families too, and they need to eat. Here is what would happen to me if I tried to take of the exahust manifold: The hardest to reach bolts would snap off. I do not have a bolt extractor. I could eventually get the job done, but at massive pain to my back. Why does this happen? Because God loves me, and wants to see if I will lose (and loose)my temper on an inanamate object.

I did my waterpump, but let my mechanic come get my truck(died in garage) when the fuel pump went out. Yes, I could have done it, but I went to work, and when I got home, it was ready. I have pulled axel shafts, radiators, done brakes, starters, etc. Sodid my dad. Now he has all his work done.His time is worth something in retirement, and mechanics need topay bills too.

I am the first one to save money on stuff because I am a tightwad. Certain things need to be left to the professionals. Also, the scaley rust that comes off of the exhaust is dangerous to your eyes! Once this is done, it will be done. You can feel good that you helped someone else out in the process!

good thing im getting a degree in auto tech. =]]

so does that mean i can do my own?? =D

Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

It's true too. I know a lot of guys here on the forum are advanced mechanically, but well...I'm not. My passion is automotive no questions, but I don't know much when it comes to dealing with stuff. It's not my forte like it is other peoples. I have a full time job on the weekeneds, and I go to college all day during the week. Sure I could try it in the miserable cold, but the hassle I'd go through, the uncertainy I'd have to go through is not worth it to me. Also,the fact I still would have to get it welded from someone defeats the purpose in my mind. To me, it's so much easier for me to just drop the truck off for a day for $240 and make sure the manifolds are removed properly, the headers are installed right along with the headgaskets, the stock y-pipe is taken out and the new put in, and then the piping from the cat to the y-pipe is completed as well. I'm just always so busy, and me sitting out in the street in the city bending over this stupid lifted truck in the freeezing cold just is not worth it to me. I also can't afford to have this truck tied up for more than a day out on the street lol. If I had more ideal circumstances and an a nice clean warm envirionment to work on with a free weekened to be left alone from work, yeah, I'd love to tackle it. But it's not going to happen right now sadly. And this way it will all be done at once in one day, and done with profession, which is nice for me.[8D]

Old 01-05-2008, 03:02 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Your joking right? Thats cowardice imo.

Quick Reply: **Update** Headers are HERE-)