2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance Distributor's Firepower Ignition Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:50 PM
justneed2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Distributor's Firepower Ignition Kit

Well... it's time to replace the distributor cap, rotor, wires, & plugs. And since I have to replace them I was wondering if I should upgrade them.

Does anyone have any experience with Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit?

My truck is pretty much stock, only have a Cold Air and an exhaust as far as performance mods

Here's a little blurb about it... (any feedback would be greatly appreciated if you have or know someone who has used this setup!)
------------------------
The Firepower Ignition Kit consists of the Screamin' Demon Coil, LiveWires spark plug wires and a brass terminal cap and rotor.

The Screamin' Demon Coil allows you to open up the spark plug gaps to a .065" gap. The larger plug gap (supposedly) leads to a more complete combustion of your fuel mixture,
which in turn provides more horsepower, better gas mileage and cleaner spark plugs, etc.

The coil features a brass terminal, which is more conductive and resists corrosion longer than the aluminum terminal on the stock coil.

Because the Screamin' Demon Coil is too "hot" for stock plug wires, the kit comes with LiveWires spark plug wires. LiveWires are constructed with a heat resistant sleeving, able to withstand up to 1400 degrees. Approximately 10mm in diameter - Spiral wound core prevents electronic interference - no radio noise or
computer interference. Each wire is numbered for the correct cylinder.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: Performance Distributor's Firepower Ignition Kit

Check out accel's parts. I think they are cheeper. Same **** really.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like msd better ..

Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

i like msd better ..
did they start making caps and rotors for us yet?

Old 12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

i like msd better ..
Nope... and my wife gave me an option either this spring i can do gears or motor.. so i got a 5.9L .. and guess what ill be doing to it !!! LOL !!! [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 12-26-2007, 09:47 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

i like msd better ..
Nope... and my wife gave me an option either this spring i can do gears or motor.. so i got a 5.9L .. and guess what ill be doing to it !!! LOL !!! [sm=badbadbad.gif]
my money is on a tornado!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: justneed2

Here's a little blurb about it... (any feedback would be greatly appreciated if you have or know someone who has used this setup!)
------------------------
The Firepower Ignition Kit consists of the Screamin' Demon Coil, LiveWires spark plug wires and a brass terminal cap and rotor.

The Screamin' Demon Coil allows you to open up the spark plug gaps to a .065" gap. The larger plug gap (supposedly) leads to a more complete combustion of your fuel mixture,
which in turn provides more horsepower, better gas mileage and cleaner spark plugs, etc.

The coil features a brass terminal, which is more conductive and resists corrosion longer than the aluminum terminal on the stock coil.

Because the Screamin' Demon Coil is too "hot" for stock plug wires, the kit comes with LiveWires spark plug wires. LiveWires are constructed with a heat resistant sleeving, able to withstand up to 1400 degrees. Approximately 10mm in diameter - Spiral wound core prevents electronic interference - no radio noise or
computer interference. Each wire is numbered for the correct cylinder.
Sounds like a lot of BS and Hype. A .065 spark gap isn't going to give you better mileage or power

How much is this kit?

I it was me Iwould get a MSD kit,Mopar Performance Cap and Rotor, some quality wires (Accel, Taylor or Mopar) and either someAutolite or Champion truck plugs.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:35 AM
ron333
Captain

What can be expected in performance from the MSD setup? Does it make much of a difference to make it worth the cost? I've been thinking of doing this to my truck as well, but I want to make sure I'm getting good "bang for the buck" on the money I spend.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Don't use the Accel coil. Lots of people say they had a very short life. I had one of the good ones, it lasted over a year.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:22 AM
justneed2
Rookie

Sounds like a lot of BS and Hype. A .065 spark gap isn't going to give you better mileage or power

How much is this kit?

I it was me I would get a MSD kit, Mopar Performance Cap and Rotor, some quality wires (Accel, Taylor or Mopar) and either some Autolite or Champion truck plugs.
I think the kit runs about $200, that would include, wires, coil, wire harness adapter for the coil, distributor cap, & rotor

Quick Reply: Performance Distributor's Firepower Ignition Kit