2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas Millage!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gas Millage!

I feel the exact same... I hate my truck once a week when I fill it up. I actually wish I got the silverado pickup instead. for a couple of reasons, reliability is higher and the MPG is higher, along with a higher resale (I am sure that might cause a back lashing).
But lets be honest about the 2nd gen reliability regarding transmissions, plenum, rear end lockups, and the under powered 5.9L (Stock).

The dodge truck has a certain style to it, it ooozes that big truckness. So its a love / hate relationship.
I have considered selling it already and have only had it about 4months. Ihave already replaced both front bearings, and left front half drive shaft ($850), now I noticed the tranny is making a grinding noise when i put it in to reverse (TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1999/21-08-99.htm), track bar issues (http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1996/02-06-96.htm)and bad steering (TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm), and a leaky front main seal, leaky tranny coolerline, andI swear none of this was present when i looked it over, I am sure I was just giddy over getting permission to get a truck.
I wish I didn't get the implulse to get this truck... but i got it and now I have to make the best of it.

I call it the Dodge Depression Syndrome. [&o]

Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know guys, I know this is usually a pretty controverisal topic with using higher octane fuel, but heres my simple standpoint on it, and experiences. These are real tests too. I always use 93 on my vehicle, no matter what I am driving. Then every now and then to make sure it is helping, I'll then run 87 in it. And guess what happens, it begins knocking. Almost immediatly too. I think there is no coincidence as to why this engine runs so smoothly at 105,000 miles. It idles beautifully, accelerates amazing as well. When I first got the truck, it was pretty sluggish to be honest. Then I got the synthetic oil change, the synthetic tranny flush, and began running 93 octane in her, and it runs great. Starts up beautiful in the morning, and never hesitates. To me, it's worth it to spend the extrea 5-8 bucks to run the 93. Gas prices are already going to bust my nuts anyways, so I think I might as well be giving my truck the cleanest fuel possible. And it proves to work. The engine on this truck is very strong, and I think it is has to do with my persistance in running the best of the best fluids in the truck, which really, isn't all that big hard to do. It's a win win situation in my view, you just can't go wrong using it.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's pinging when you run 87 in means your truck is ****ed up. Mine has like 107,000 miles on it and I get 13-15 mpg using 87 octane, and my motor definetly doesn't knock.

I'm glad you brought this up because all this leads me to believe your plenum gasket is leaking. Which would explain your ****ty gas mileage. Either that or possibly your front 02 sensor is messed up but i'm leaning toward the plenum. Check it out, that could net you 2-3 more mpg.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Well to be honest, it's not even my truck that I'm referring to on the knocking. All the vehicles that my family own, we run 93. Then now and then we'll do that 87 test on the vans or my dad's f-150 lol (**** doing that test on my truck[8D]), and sure enough, you can tell if someone has put 87 into it. It may be it knocks because the system has been adpated to the 93. But my point is, it can never hurt to run 93. It's a cleaner fuel, and it doesn't burn as hot. I think it's a nice gesture to a vehicle to keep the clean fuel in it along with the synthetic oil changes. It's a lethal combo. I realize most ppl do not do the 93 octane fuel thing, so I don't want to come off smug here, that's not my goal, but really I think it can't hurt to run it, and overall, you don't actually pay that much more to use the blue nozzle. I think the gas mileage I suffer has alot to with many variables. One the 4.10 gearing with 35" tires. Two, all the city driivng I do now because I live in the city now. And 3, because it is winter now (4 wheel drive, and cooler tempatures). And actually four, I'm a crazy driver and slam it all the time since I've gotten the truck. When I first got it, it had 12 mpgs, now 9mpg. I think come summer time, it will have back in the 11s. I don't think theres anything going wrong though, the engine just purrs to smooth, never any issues.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

my truck doesn't knock or ping under any type of driving, does that rule out the plenum?
I am guessing the only real way is to look? how do I do that, remove the air box and look down the intake??

Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
jmhai
Veteran

98..Yes just look down inside (flashlight/ mirror)..you may see some grime, but if their is pooled oil then it is leaking. Their is also a way to check it using vacuum but don't remmeber how...just to make sure check your PVC valve...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

check it? might as well just replace it, they are cheap and easy to install.Thought they werecalled PCV, and not PVC?
I want to say they are about $3 a pop or so (PCV)

orare you talking about another part? I am thinking of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.
Thanks for the tip. I am going to go out in the garage now to check with my flashlight.

[IMG]local://upfiles/80976/72CBA856AD174D25A8F0F20CB77417A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

I would really love to increase my MPG as well.
Do you have an overhead computer?

Try jumping on a flat stretch of road and drive the truck around 1800 to 2200 rpms in OD and see what the computer tells you, regardless of what speed you're going. Right around those RPMS is a spot that you will get your best MPG if you keep it there.

My truck will read right around 22~23 MPG at ~2050 RPM's and it's about 63 MPH with 4.10 gearing and 265x70x16 tires. I keep it there and believe me, it makes a HUGE difference. I specifically try to drive roads that allow me to go that speed, because even if it's a little out of the way, I get better gas mileage than the 14 MPG by underworking the engine.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
98Stanger

It's almost a misnomer with higher unleaded gas. It doesn't really do anything on an engine tuned for 87 octane. The engine will not knock with 87 in it unless there are other issues totally unrelated to the fuel you run in it. My Ram has 153k on it and has NEVER seen a drop of 93 octane. There's no use in spending the extra money to net 1-2 mpg more. In the end it balances out. Keep the engine properly maintained and tuned and you'll get the mileage you should. Octane of fuel doesn't play much of a factor at all. It's more of a placebo for your brain.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

I seriously hope Dodge fired the engineer who designed the airbox... what a nightmare. my back is killing me.
Anyhow, it looks like a tea colored sticky coating, but no pooling of oil.
I am thinking of getting one of those cheapy Cold Air systems just so I don't have to go through that again.

Quick Reply: Gas Millage!