2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shudder in reverse, and when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 PM
mjf251
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shudder in reverse, and when slowing down

hey all, i have a 01 5.9 off road. When i put the truck in reverse it has a slight shudder until i give it gas. it also shudders on deceleration as im slowing down. Any suggestions? Also what color is ATF+4? the truck has red trans fluid in it now wich is probably dextron. Im assuming that can cause alotta damamge?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Pistol148@aol.com
Default RE: shudder in reverse, and when slowing down

As far as your shudder in reverse. A simple band adjustment might be the fix. I would also check your fluid level and that can cause a shudder when it's low on engagement. ATF+4 is a syn. fluid and it's is also red but, if my eyes are correct, a purple tint to it. I would not recommend Dex/Merc. fluid in a electronic mopar trans. Your shudder on decel? Could you go more in depth? Speed and Rpms, all the time?? Good Luck, Nick.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM
mjf251

the shudder on decel almost feels like its front rotors....but its so close/nearly identical to the one in reverse i was thinking it could be the same thing since there at nearly the same slow speed. it does it as im comming to a stop with no gas. and in reverse it does it when i take my foot off the brake and dont hit the gas as well.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Shudder in reverse on light throttle is normal and has been for 40 plus years. your decel problem could be warped rotors.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Pistol148@aol.com

The way I tell if the rotors/drums are warped is to apply the brakes hard from 50mph and see if the the steering wheel shakes or if the brake pedal moves up and down. If it does any of that, it's safe to assume that yours brakes are getting bad and causing a shudder. As far as a shudder in reverse, I would have to agree with master that you will feel a slight shudder in reverse. My fix is usually a VB kit (new valve to fix no charge in park) and new band with correct adjustment. If I remember correctly chrysler has a TSB out on reverse band adjustment. Good Luck, Nick.

Quick Reply: shudder in reverse, and when slowing down