2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum repair help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plenum repair help

OK GUYS I FINALLY GOT IT OUT!!!

Now my Haynes manual says that if I remove the 4 bolts holding on the fuel rails I can pull the fuel rails and injectors right out.
Problem: I've givin it a good pull and the injectors are not budging. Do I pull harder? I'm trying not to break stuff. Or is there a little trick to get these injectors out? I need them out to mod my kegger.

I think today I realized I'm a bit of a retard mechanic, it took me 6.5 hours to remove everything I needed to minus the injectors. Damn.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
ozyran
Professional

Ok, quick question - what's the average time for a complete removal and reinstallation of the intake plenum?
Thanks,
~oz

Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

if your a beginner plan on 6~8 hours, otherwise you should be able to knock it out in under 4.

on the injector question.. take a long screwdriver and gently pry up at one end of one side of the rail and work your way down. they should just pop out. you might also try a shot of wd-40 in where the injectors fit into the injector bores and wiggle the rail a bit to allow it to drop onto the o-ring. probably wont help much but it's worth a shot. wd-40 is cheep... when you have the rail off, clean it out real good and check the tops of the injectors (might as well clean them too).

Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

6-8 hours, I could kinda see that. If I wasn't intent on pulling the fuel rails I think it could have been done today. I have never done anything like this before and I honestly hope I don't have to again in the near future.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

the more you wrench, the easier it gets... lol, no wait... ok I guess it depends on the job. some are still a pita

Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I plan on modding my kegger tomorrow. I'm wondering if cutting the runners down 1 inch is going to be too much. I'd like to get more power without sacrificing too much on the bottom end. So what do you guys think..... is a 1 inch cut too much?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, couple quick questions for you (because i'm ramping up to do my plenum fix and mod kegger very soon):
1) Did you still disconnect the fuel lines from the rails, or just leave it intact and pull the rails off the intake only?
2) What type of wrap did you use to heat sheild the fuel rails (seems like a great time to do that while i'm doing the plenum)?
3) I've heard you should replace the o-rings on the injectors anytime you remove them like this. You thoughts?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Steve, couple quick questions for you (because i'm ramping up to do my plenum fix and mod kegger very soon):
1) Did you still disconnect the fuel lines from the rails, or just leave it intact and pull the rails off the intake only?
2) What type of wrap did you use to heat sheild the fuel rails (seems like a great time to do that while i'm doing the plenum)?
3) I've heard you should replace the o-rings on the injectors anytime you remove them like this. You thoughts?

cut the runners down 1.5" from the highest point on the runner. if you search for my login name & intake mod or something like that you should see pics of what it should look like. I posted some a long time ago. I have them still at home and can post them again, however I wont be home till late and will be heading straight to bed (early morning tomorrow).

Silver, I think you mean the injectors from the rails... I pulled it all apart, disconnected the fuel lines to the rails, then pulled the rail with injectors in place. then modded the bores. I got the tape from thermo tec... I just bought some for the dakota's 4.7 that is from DEI, looks much thiner and easier to work with. claims they protect up to 1500 deg vs 2000 on the thermo tec. shouldnt matter on the fuel rails.

on the o-ring question, I didnt swap mine and had no leaks. they all looked good to me so I left them. you'll want to look for distortion or cracking in the o-ring. the body should be round, any flat spot then toss it. Are you still planning the DIY writeup? I can still do it if not. I have all the pics still.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

cut the runners down 1.5" from the highest point on the runner. if you search for my login name & intake mod or something like that you should see pics of what it should look like. I posted some a long time ago. I have them still at home and can post them again, however I wont be home till late and will be heading straight to bed (early morning tomorrow).

Silver, I think you mean the injectors from the rails... I pulled it all apart, disconnected the fuel lines to the rails, then pulled the rail with injectors in place. then modded the bores. I got the tape from thermo tec... I just bought some for the dakota's 4.7 that is from DEI, looks much thiner and easier to work with. claims they protect up to 1500 deg vs 2000 on the thermo tec. shouldnt matter on the fuel rails.

on the o-ring question, I didnt swap mine and had no leaks. they all looked good to me so I left them. you'll want to look for distortion or cracking in the o-ring. the body should be round, any flat spot then toss it. Are you still planning the DIY writeup? I can still do it if not. I have all the pics still.
Ya, that's what I meant. What you described is how I was planning to do it.
Yup, planning to mod the keg, but i've decided to mod my current stock keg, not the one that I bought as a spare. There is too much to remove on that older one I have since it has the center peice and all. I'm stocking up on cutting and grinding bits, and plan to just mod it while it is off for the plenum fix. I'm going to wrap my fuel rails at that time too, and also think i'll get some o-rings to have just in case.

I'll probably still do the kegger mod DIY. Might take me some time after the project though to get it all put together.

Should I clean my injectors while they are off too? If so, what method is preferred?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Thanks Steve, I have seen pictures of modded kegs from you and others. I just want to make sure that cutting them won't somehow ruin my bottom end. Or am I just way out in left field on this one?

Quick Reply: Plenum repair help