2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum repair help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
WTL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plenum repair help

Whether or not you take the fan off depends on your age, back condition and ability toclimb up on top of the shroud. I'm young and in good health so I just sat on top of the fan shround and worked on it.

I would recomend taking the fuel rail and each injector off and giving it a good look over. On mine I found the fuel rail was clogged with rust, which turned out to be what was causing the lions share of my running problems (not the plenum). The whole process actually took me a couple days the first time. Most of that time was spent looking for tools though.

I was at work the other day thinking about the plenum pan, and it occured to me. They say buy a new gasket (or the upgraded pan), but since this is something that really you don't need to remove that often what would happen if you ran a bead of JB weld all the way around the plate like a gasket? Would that ever fail?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

If you don't remove the fan then prepare for a very sore back. You can do it without removing the fan it's just a lot harder. If you remove the fan you can actually stand infront of the engine and work. Tons easier on your back.
sucks to be short .

Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WTL

I was at work the other day thinking about the plenum pan, and it occured to me. They say buy a new gasket (or the upgraded pan), but since this is something that really you don't need to remove that often what would happen if you ran a bead of JB weld all the way around the plate like a gasket? Would that ever fail?

I've heard of guys just getting the alum belly pan, and welding it to the intake. Most don't do it because welding aluminum is takes some skill. But i've seen pics of it done, that would definetly take care of it.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

Thanks Steve, I have seen pictures of modded kegs from you and others. I just want to make sure that cutting them won't somehow ruin my bottom end. Or am I just way out in left field on this one?

My low end didnt suffer much if at all... I was still getting upper 13's, low 14's for mileage.

As for the injectors... make sure the top screens are nice and clean... other than that I'd use bk44 or chevrons techron thru the tank with a high concentration of it.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ok so today didn't go so hot. my uncle and i ended haveing to build a jig in order to run the kegger in the milling machine. only got one side cut down, but without blowing my own horn i'd have to say it looks good so far. still have to cut down the other side, hone the injector bosses, and install the hughes plate. on a good note everything else is cleaned so when the kegger is all buttoned up the install can begin.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

cool, how long did it take you to do the cuts so far? IIRC, it took me about 6 hours the 1st time, 4 or so the 2nd time.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

It took 4 hours to do one side. his mill is on the small side so setup was a little more time consuming. now that we have a better grip on how things need to be i'm sure the other side won't take nearly as long. i'm cutting 1 inch from the highest point in the runner. do you have any pics, writeups, or just good ole advice on how to hone out the injector ports? out of curiousity what angle did you make your cuts?

P.S. sadly i'm 26 and i'm not up on chat lingo what does IIRC stand for?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

IIRC = If I recall correctly.

Silver, I used a sonic jewelry bath I got from walmart to clean my injectors, worked really well, use it on my watch and eyeglasses too. I had also just run a few bottles of techron concentrate plus thru on a nearly empty tank to try ti fix the gas tank guage problem I was having (it worked thus far,) and still got some cloudy deposits out of them.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
ozyran
Professional

Just a quick question concerning the intake plenum plate gasket - how long can I let the gasket go before I need to quit driving the truck altogether?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very interesting. I have seen the DIY on cutting the plenum. Why specifically is it done, not to hijack the thread.

Quick Reply: Plenum repair help