2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roller Rockers installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Roller Rockers installed

Roller Rockers came from HS today, gonna put em in tomorrow morning. Went with the 1.7 bolt ons, no cam in my near future. Read up on the pavementsucks article, got the tools and oil & filter if I need to change it.

For anybody that has installed these, any problems you ran into doing it I should be wary of? John at Southeast RT suggested I dunk 'em in oil before I install them so they won't clack, but he said I really don't need the assembly lube if I do it that way. If you got anything to add, it would be appreciated!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Roller Rockers came today, any tips?

I used assembly lube, but I can see how that would work too. The instructions on PS say you need to crank the engine over about half way through the install to get better access on the ones where the valves are fully closed or open. That's not true. John Mercedes will tell you the same, it isn't necessary. The clearance around the rockers is fine, even for the valves that are fully open and closed. One word of advice, be very careful with the pushrods, as it is possible that if you accidentally lift them up just rightthen drop them, they can slide down past the lifters into the lifter valley below. Then you will need to remove your intake/heads to retrieve them, so be careful.

Otherwise, once you do the first pair of rockers, the rest are pretty easy. It is a little tricky to hold them together on the shaft while trying to set them down (especially wirh assembly lube on your fingers), but it gets easier with each one. I should be home most of the day, so if you run into any trouble, feel free to send me a PM or reply to this thread, and when I check in to the forum, i can help you out if you need.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

One other tip. I used a little mirror to look underneath each rocker after each pair was placed down to make sure the pushrod was seated just right in its little dimple. It is possible to have it off to the side, and you won't realize it until you try to torque down the rocker pair, and then it will either jump into place, or bend. So before you tighten each pair, use your fingers to feel if the pushrod is in place correctly, but I also looked with a little mirror just to make sure.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Hey Silver,
Thanks for the tips! I'm interested to know what you thought about this mod? There's a few I've done that I was underwhelmed on (superchips, and Crank Sensor mod come to mind), but then a few (like the Fastman) that I was pleasantly suprised with.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

This was one of my favorite mods because the gain was noticable. Other mods I have done, the gain was not so evident or was only evident under certain conditions. These were immediatly noticable the first time I took the truck out. It just pulled harder, and generally feels like it has more power.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:10 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Last question tonight, might be more tomorrow

There was a break in period mentioned at PS. How long is that, exactly and what should I be doing? Just go easy for a tank?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about that myself.. aim do you have a sound clip of your exhaust ? be nice to have one before and after the install of the 1.7s ..

Old 01-12-2008, 12:35 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I might try to get some tomorrow morning before I start if I can figure out how to get my camera to do the video. where could I host that, youtube? Never done video before.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

yes on youtube.. hell send me the video and ill put it on for you.. for break in time 250-500 mile ? when we do heads port and polish , seems to work and tell people under normal driving .

Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

I am thinking your mileage may go up too.

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers installed