2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Got the truck back. Cat is behind the y-pipe now and looks great. Leaks are gone as well. Weird gurgly noise is still coming from dashboard, but it's obvious the coolant system just needs to be bleed and refilled. I know he got air in the system, but it's not worth getting it done from him, I am just not bringing it back there. Truck was running good though this morning. Case and point with headers...torque remained the same, mid range and upper end is much better. I did a couple high speed passes today on the way home with the truck, and the truck responded very well and sounded like a beast. I slammed it around 50mph and it roared up to 85 mph very nicely, so that's what the headers have been good for. I mean do not get me wrong, the headers do help on torque, but just not initital torque, you feel them kick in more so in 3500 range in first and second gear, so they are nice for street racing, which will be nice. Now I am just focused on getting the volant intake system with the air scoop...then, FASTMAN tb.

GOOD. Hope you didnt pay anything? Question....Why did he meddle with the cooling system? Wheres our videos ? I want a 0-60 DAMNIT!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00
you feel them kick in more so in 3500 range in first and second gear, so they are nice for street racing, which will be nice. Now I am just focused on getting the volant intake system with the air scoop...then, FASTMAN tb.
That's not torque... That's your powerband...

anyways glad to hear yougot your truck back and it's running right. Hasn't stalled outyou anymore right?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah man, no stalling, truck is running fantastic, and I'm very excited. I was really impressed how clean the system looked under the truck, it's just so nice looking under there and it's just all complete and connected now. I remember in August when I had the catback put in, I was just so eager to but up to that with the 2nd part of the system, and now she is all complete. It sounds great, very throaty and obnoxious. The trucks tone actually changed more because the cat is after the y-pipe, so that was neat too. Today was probably the first day I've really got to accurately gauge the headers now. And I'm just so impressed. Truck sounds amazing, sounds healthy, no leaks anymore, has the feeling of the same torque as before, but passing ability and midrange is where I really feel the truck kick into gear and it's awesome. Another cool thing too is when I start the truck it sounds like a cammed stang, you can hear the exhaust just rumble under your feet when you first start it, it's very neat. But I am going to shoot another video 0-60 and what now since the truck is running great and everything appears to be perfect at this point

Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you do the 0-60 with you windows down so we can really hear the exhaust. and are you going to shoot another video from the outside, you truck sounds sweet. good to hear it running like a champ

Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nah, don't roll the windows down, just throw your brother in the bed and let him roll around like an empty keg while he's shooting the vids.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LOL alright ya guys, here is a pretty sweet story. Tonight, I wanted to get the big rig going. I had all my friends over and they were asking about how the truck was and ****, and I was like yeah its running awesome now. The truck was all clean because I just got a carwash today so she's really sparkling so we're all amped to go for a ride. I start her up and she growls and they are just stunned. I let her warm up for about 5 minutes because it was freeeezing, and then we took off to the store. Then about 2 minutes into driving we're all chatting about how good the truck sounds and blah blah, and then I'm going down a hill and start seeing my gauges start to dim, and then my rpms got really low and the steering wheel locked on me. So yep, I looked pretty stupid. I pulled off the side of the road and started it back up, and it just kinda crappily idled back up (I must admit it sounded amazing, like a cammed truck...i know im a loser)...but anyway, it shut off on me a couple more times as well, but then after it warmed up, she finally stopped. Now I've noticed that the truck never did this before the headers, but now when it is REALLY cold outside, the truck will do this. Any ideas why the truck will shut off now when it's really cold since the headers? It's a weird little thing that happens for like 10 minutes, but then it pulls out of it and start running good again. I just hope it won't keep doing this, but it just seems to do it when its first started after sitting for awhile or when it's really cold, and keep in mind, it never did this before the headers, this def. a new thing happening, and it must be related.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 AM
johnjokela
Veteran

alt ? batt? **** i dunno maybe the cold is draining your battery, and that **** brick of a mechanic probally ran your battery down when he was worrking on it, leaving the hood open with the hood light on, doors open, ect ,ect, just a thought

Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

How much voltage is your gauge putting out at 1. key on engine off, 2. Idle, 3. cruise? Check all the wireing just to make sure he didnt disconnect something unnecissary. Still cant figgure out why he did anything with the cooling system

Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I know when I did my install I unbolted the power steering pump which has two grounds mounted to one bolt. One is the fuel injection ground and the other I think is a battery ground. He may have done the same thing and the grounds are now loose. Just a guess, but an easy check.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For that matter make sure he bolted the battery terminals on tight.

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?