2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

I hate to be complaining already, but jeez guys, I got to tell you, I'm a little pissed... Got the truck back today, started her up, and she sounded real good, no more louder than before, but you could tell something had been done to it. Anyways, when I pulled out of there, I was stunned, it was just so loud and it floated up to speed with ease. Throughout the day I was able to find some safe spots on the road that weren't covered in ice and snow anymore, and tested the headers out. Overall, it's pretty nice, it's even louder and raspier, has great top end, and I can feel the pedal become a little lighter. Well anyways, tonight I did my 0-60 video. The roads really sucked and I hit ice, but still...I know my truck well, and I can tell she's burning right now... I feel like I lost a ton of torque, as it gets going faster then I feel the headers help, but it screws with my tachometer now. Three nights ago I did a 0-60 with no headers, and I got UNDER 8 seconds. I just shot a video, and it took nearly 13-14 seconds, wtf? Here's my question...if I get an intake system, and the fastman throttle body, will this help accomdate for the amount of air that's exiting the engine now?? I'm a little dissapointed right now, spent over $700 for the headers and parts, and I don't want to tell you how much I paid to have them put in. I expected the headers to increase torque, not make it worse...any suggesstions to help me get the use of these headers and get some torque back. I must express, it really isnt that bad, but its not as good as it used to be. I lost some torque, but gained a lot of mid range and hi end, which i dont care about, I want this truck to be a torque fest...I dont need high speeds...lol,help.

Here's some videos to show you what I'm talking about on the 0-60:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OKUZCjMWSbs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kXwW5Etpso

Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

i dont say this much but A+++++++ sounds like a glasspack singing.... now u know i would have alot more respect for you if you did the install.. but give it a day or 2 sometimes it takes a little for the PCM to learn the mod... Now get real with the mods , cam , TB, shiftkit , come play with us big boys...LOL..

Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Bluebone
Rookie

Nice to hear you got your headers in with no real problems.

As far as the extra power at the high end and loss of torque....now, I'm no mechanic or racer, but......I'm pretty sure that's exactly what headers are for and the consequences.

I have no doubt there are multiple ways to even things back out again and all these racer/mechanic types here will be full of helpful ideas. Just think of it as more fun to come.

Edit: Btw, what kind of problems was your exhaust man having that sent him home early on the first day of installation?

Can you feel the headers rumble under your feet? I've never driven a truck with full headers.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:40 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Appreciate the compliments PA! That is good news to hear from the both of ya. On a side note, I will mention that the truck has become considerably louder than even before, so that is pretty damn cool in itself. I guess I had just been expecting a little more off the line torque. I will give it a couple of days though to load in the pcm, and I'd like to redo that 0-60 on some nice dry pavement. I'd also like to have someone in the truck with me so they can hold the damn camera so I can just focus on driving haha, the quality of those videos was pitiful lol. I am very interested in a cam as well. I think for right now though I'll focus my mind on finishing the bolt ons (cold air intake and fastman TB) before I start getting into the internals of the engine. But, I am just happy the job is finally done and I can move onto the intake now More videos to come by the way!

PROS of LT Headers and Y-Pipe:

-Obnoxious & Illegally Loud, Great Mid Range & Upper End, Looks great in the Engine Bay, Better MPGs.

CONS of LT Headers and Y-Pipe:

-Slightly damaged my torque off the line...hope to get back when bolt ons are completed.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Dude, im willing to bet you money that your truck doesnt have the 4.11 gears in it...

that truck through 1st (at least by looking at the speedo) is quite a bit faster than mine, but after yours shifts mine seems like it has alot more *****.. yours just kinda sat there... is that waht your saying the headers did?

4.10's with 35's is roughly equil to 31's with 3.55s (like me) and ill tell you, im not into half the rpms you are by your speed... looks like you shifted out of 1st at around 35mph... mine shifts out of first at around 48mph.

I would have to say you have 4.56's, and that your speedo is set correctly for the gears and tires (or halfway close). if it wasent set corectly and you had gears and those tires your speedo would appear to haul major *** up, your speedo would probably say you had a 0-60 of around 5 seconds.

Sorry that its off topic, im really excited you got your headers on, thats sweet i just wanted to point that out to you.

I have one sugestion as to getting your power back, remember these trucks pick up on your driving style and changes of mixture, air temp and waht not... when somthing changes (like headers) the computer isnt designed to notice that... so it wouldent very fast. i would unplug your battery for 10 minutes to reset your computer, then start it up and drive like normal. i always notice when i do that it has LESS power than it did before i reset, but its in its learning stage and within 50 miles or so it will have adjusted to everything.
That should help your gain in power, when I had a plugged cat and I put the new cat on, I was supprised that the power dident go up that much.. I did waht I just said and within 25 miles it felt like a different truck.
One good way to tell that the computer was reset when you unplug the battery is when you start it back up, just like 4 seconds after it fires rev it up 500 rpm or so... if it doesnt goto the normal idle and goes to aroun 400-500 rpm for a second then goes back up it tells you that it has reset.

Hope that makes since...

Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

4.10's with 35's is roughly equil to 31's with 3.55s (like me) and ill tell you, im not into half the rpms you are by your speed... looks like you shifted out of 1st at around 35mph... mine shifts out of first at around 48mph.

I would have to say you have 4.56's, and that your speedo is set correctly for the gears and tires (or halfway close). if it wasent set corectly and you had gears and those tires your speedo would appear to haul major *** up, your speedo would probably say you had a 0-60 of around 5 seconds.

What's your guys thoughts on this? Its an interesting thought. IT would make sense why this truck seems to have so much snap up to 70mph, and then is kind of average after that point? What do you guys think?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm thinking you just sold me on shorty headers, that is exactly what I was afraid might happen with longtubes.

Don't need the high end rpms, most guys I've street raced let off the pedal if you start smoking them in the first 100 yards or so...they don't want to admit they gave it their all and still got smoked.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

I was talking with Joe (20dodgeneon00) basically more about what I said about his gears... He asked me to post up my findings on here...

I used a gear ratio calculator punched in his tire size, and OD ratio... I asked him waht rpm he was running at 70mph, he said "around 2100", with those 35in tires according to the calculator he would be running 2100rpms at 69 mph which is almost exactly what he said. if he had 4.10's he would run about 1850 I think it said... somewhere around there.

Basically he asked me to post this up becasue he wanted 2nd oppinions... Im fairly confident he has 4.56's. waht yall think?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

What's your guys thoughts on this? Its an interesting thought. IT would make sense why this truck seems to have so much snap up to 70mph, and then is kind of average after that point? What do you guys think?
I'd say by the looks of that video, the guy that owned it before you has done a few things, might want to ask him if you know who it is. I'd hate for you to go and buy something like a B&G and realize you've already got one.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

I'm thinking you just sold me on shorty headers, that is exactly what I was afraid might happen with longtubes.

Don't need the high end rpms, most guys I've street raced let off the pedal if you start smoking them in the first 100 yards or so...they don't want to admit they gave it their all and still got smoked.
+1
Gibson Shoties here I come

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?