2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FOR SALE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FOR SALE.

If you get a quality rebuild with quality parts and a shift kit, these transmissions are GREAT. Just as good, if not better than any other transmission. It is in stock form that they suck, even then it isnt always true. You can get a good rebuilt transmission for $1500-$3000 depending on who you have do it. You will have best luck at a smaller shop that an older guy runs and has been doing it all his life.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 PM
RamGuy318
Professional

what price you going to be selling it for?? by the description, youre not going to get much for it.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RamGuy318

what price you going to be selling it for?? by the description, youre not going to get much for it.
didn't pay much for it in the first place. about $1200 less than blue book.

look it up, do the math. Granted I still got screwed.

I would sell it for what I paid for it, 4months ago.

not selling it now... stuck with it. I am almost hoping the tranny dies around tax refund time. then I can get something else. how are those PATC rebuit units?
the 98 has a 46RE or RH? what would be a better upgrade?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is what I would go with if I were you

http://www.jasperengines.com/transmi...automobile.htm

Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

This is what I would go with if I were you

http://www.jasperengines.com/transmi...automobile.htm

I'd run away from that. We used to use Jasper Transmissions when I worked at a shop. They have since stopped using them. I don't ever remember getting a whole lot but we got one in and put it in the car and it wouldn't shift right and was slipping. We ended up having to get another. We had another one that we broke due to it being dropped off the jack while probably 4 feet in the air so I don't know how that would have worked out. I think the replacement went fine.

A buddy tried a couple of them in his Dodge 350 dump truck that has gone through transmissions like crazy since his stock one died. The stock one lasted 130k or something like that and he says he gets around 40k out of the ones after that. He didn't have good luck with Jasper ones either and says he wouldn't put another one in.

I've heard a few people on here say good things about them but I've just seen to many fail to like them. The shop I used to work for also saw this and no longer uses them.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Well they have a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. So if it does go bad at least you're getting another free-be, vs. paying someone to rebuilt it then paying them again, then paying them again in 15,000 miles.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I agree they have a nice warranty. I however would want something I can put in and not have to worry about it again. Maybe the majority of Jasper Transmissions aren't that bad though.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 PM
bigmack

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500, i too have had to put about three grand in it since i bought it about 3 years ago... thats why i bought the warranty with it! three grand only cost me 345$ but yes it is a fact of life, if you want my opinion... take care of your truck, have fun but if you beat the heck out of it, and try and drive it like a viper then yea it will give you fitts!

in response to your gas problem, where do you do most of your dirving city/highway/offroad??

and your power issue, my truck withthe 5.9and a flowmaster kept up with my buddy who has a 04 chevy crew cab with a airaid and a TBS.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:26 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

We got a brand new 2005 Yukon XL and the car payment is 560.50 per month (6 year loan on 32K)! Think of it that way. Your new truck payment (unless you buy another beater/money pit) will be that or right about that. Multiply that by 12 then by 5 or 6 then put gas in it.

What I am saying is the cheapest car you will ever own is the one you have right now. Believe it or not, trucks are mechanical devices that wear out and break down. If you know a car or truck that does not...please let me know. My 1995 is very close to being trouble free. In my near future is a heater/AC core, probably a tranny. So what? I have 192k and love it!

One more thing. Wouldn't it be a hoot if you purchased a used truck and then, while making payments, had to fork over the money for a new tranny or major engine work????!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

That's what I'm saying. You guys don't understand the value of not having a car payment. Love that truck. Put a new tranny in it and be done

Quick Reply: FOR SALE.