2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FOR SALE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FOR SALE.

I am done with this truck.

Anyone near the 06370 zip can stop by and take a look. Selling the truck.

Getting rid of it because I can see that anytime soon its going to need a tranny, or something major. I thought the $800 for bearings and half axle was enough... no need to put another $2-3000 in to a 1998. I just don't get that feeling its a long term truck. Its not dodge in general (or maybe it is...) but this truck itself just don't have me happy one bit. Big motor, no *****, worst gas mileage of its class, rusts, and handles like an old farm tractor.

Thanks for everyone with your help through out my short dodge career. Maybe I will return if I can afford a new one.

Edit:
talked it out with the Wife. I am just going to have to keep this truck for a while longer. I got a new one coming, and can't afford another car payment. So................................................ ........................................ I am screwed. We talked about putting $$ in to repairs and future repairs and we will be ready for when it happens. I am going to take it to a local tranny shop, and have it diag'd and see what needs to be done.

I guess I am here for a while longer, so please bear with me. Its just the price you pay for a used/older truck. its true, that most other trucks have issues, but it would appear the Ram's have the worst rep. I will be a smartertruck shopper next time around, I am not brand specific (Domestic trucks). I will also not buy a truck just based on price... ugh.

anyhow its been a learning experience and I am going to go tuck my tail between my legs and rest. This is going to beheck of a ride.

Thanks once again for the moral support...

Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: FOR SALE.

You know you probably shouldn't tell people that the tranny is about to go out if you're trying to sell it...

and if it's getting 10.5 mph with 265/75/16 tires on it something is wrong. Probably the plenum gasket is blown if you say it has no *****.

Either way good luck finding a new truck for the 3k you'd spend on a new bullet proof tranny.

Sorry to hear about your luck, and good luck with the sale.Where abouts might the 06370 zipcode be anyways?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

Near Mohegan Sun.
I think its the torque converter. but in general I don't have the feeling like I could drive it out of state and know I could make it back.
Now that I have been here in the forum, I can see the trend. Tranny, plenum, tranny, plenum, and rear end.
Had the plenum checked (visual inspection through the TB) no oil.

I am going to get something more practical, like a 4dr (full 4 doors), and not a RAM, unless is really low miles with a warranty.
I have been looking at a dakota with the 4.7, but not sure if I want to stick with Dodge. Anyone know about the dakotas here? I will check in the other section later.

why spend 3K on a high miles truck when later on its gonna need soemthing else. Put that 3K down on something with lower miles and a warranty. etc... would like to find a 5sp manual, and get out of the auto's all together.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I don't really blame you. My truck started out as needing a transmission. Turned into the fact that I still had a rear end that had clips broken off of the LSD. I decided I'd have that adressed since I was dumping so much into the transmission. Well, then I found out I need ball joints. I figured it up last night and will have well over 6k into it by the time I'm done. After dumping 6k into it I still have a truck that is a 01 with 99k miles, a pleneum that who knows how long will last, and a heater that doesn't seem to get as hot as it should, and a dent in the door although that isn't that bad. I already threw $500 into trying to fix the heater just recently and that didn't do much.

I'm getting tired of fixxing it everytime I turn around. It isn't stuff like a $50 part here and there either it's all Major things. This truck is the biggest money pit I've ever owned. When it does run I love it but it seems like it's broken down all the time recently. When it does run it gets 12.5mpg-14.5 no matter what I do and thats just not that great. The Chevy's seem to have a lot more power and get a lot better gas milage although the people I know with them have a lot of problems. Then again I can't say I haven't had a lot of problems with mine recently.

Mine is just kind of making me frustrated but it should be nice when it's done and will hopefully last me quite a while. I just couldn't see dumping 40k into a new truck and then not having it like I want when I could have this one fixxed and have it built like I want in the meantime. I could have bought another used one for what I put into this one but then again it would have probably had the problems I'm having all over again.

If I had known all that was going to be wrong before I got the transmission I don't know if I would have fixxed it or not.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
WTL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I can really understand what 98 is saying. Sometimes there is just bad luck in a truck. You spend 1k here and 2k there and you start to wonder when the next problem is gonna come instead of enjoying the thing. Sometimes all you can do is start over.

It happens to people who drive fords, chevys and any other make as well. Just one of those things.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had good luck with mine (knock on wood), but I bought mine with the idea of dumping money into it and upgrading most of the original components. I only payed $6,000 for the truck, so I figure even if I dump 10-12k into, eventually I'll have a basically "new" truck no matter what the odometer says. I'd rather spend 16-18k on a basically new monster truck, then going out and spending $40,000 (which I don't even have, so I'd have to make monthly payments and I refuse.)
on a stock truck...
$400 a month? hell if spent that much upgrading my truck every month I'd be way ahead of where I'm at.

As for the gas mileage that is really not an issue to me. I knew buying the truck they don't get car gas mileage, and I only really intend to make it worse (Lift, bigger tires, heavier axels, etc.)
Try to think of it like this... Gas is a limited item on this Earth. There's only so much of it then it's gone forever... We as Ram owners get to use more of it than other poeple. In a way you should feel privelaged.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
junior
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

Try to think of it like this... Gas is a limited item on this Earth. There's only so much of it then it's gone forever... We as Ram owners get to use more of it than other poeple. In a way you should feel privelaged.

hahahaha thats pretty good

Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

See my edit on the original post.

It is... what it is...

like i said before, its a love hate relationship. just like marriage. LOL

Old 01-23-2008, 03:20 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nicely put, Cereal Killer.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer
Either way good luck finding a new truck for the 3k you'd spend on a new bullet proof tranny.
3K on what bullet proof tranny? got a link/model name? looks like could be the route I take.

Anyone know of a 5sp auto that is being used as an aftermarket replacement? I just saw an add for one, but it didn't state it if was a Diesel or not, just said RAM with aftermarket 5pd auto.

Anyone know about this possibility?

Quick Reply: FOR SALE.