2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new stereo deck

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
spitfireram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new stereo deck

Im looking to replace my stock deck. Any suggestions on brand, price and functions?

[IMG]local://upfiles/50672/CD0DCB84F5CC4EC3B85CE724F93B3B0F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new stereo deck

If I were to get a new head unit... I would look for something with integrated bluetooth capabilites (assuming you have a bluetooth enabled phone). It's kind of nice, you can turn your car stereo into a big phone. Kind of nice...

Look around at Crutchfield... they have pretty decent prices, and if you can wait it out, they usally have pretty decent sales every once in a while. Shipping on most stuff is free, and you get the stuff you need to install it for free, which would cost about an extra 20 bucks if you had to buy it on your own. I've purchased a ton of stuff from them in the past and haven't had any problems.

Good luck, let us know what you end up deciding on.

Cartman

Old 01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
radio flyer
Rookie

go for function ,not name.

wallyworld sells a radio(off brand) that reads wma, mp3s, sd cards, and flash drives. the audio controls are a bit limited but what it lacks in features it surely makes up for in price.90 bucks out the door

Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
cnorris
Rookie

best deal out there rightnow...
http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/ca...t+%23=VM9312TS

[IMG]local://upfiles/73967/32BFCD04195A461E8C3ECE37D400A953.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
spitfireram
Rookie

CNORRIS,
thats a sweet deck....is that what u have?

anyone else have any pic's of their stereo deck???

Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
cnorris
Rookie

that jensen is the best deal out there at 289$ with a dvd player and screen included. Can't beat that. No I just have the stock in my trucks. I have a friend who owns a stereo shop and he said these are the best ones out there for cheap $$.

I don't have anything other than stock becauseI have to pull my faceplate out of my other car, pull my radar detectors out, and take my ipod inside when I get home otherwise my cars will get broken into. Two cars have been stolen in my neighborhood in SLO in the last month. Last week one on my street. And my roommate got his pos alpine deck stolen out of his truck last week. You can't park in CA with a deck like that and expect to come back to a whole window. I can leave my saddle in the truck though and no one bothers jacking that!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stick with a name brand like Alpine or Eclipse. I have an older JVC Aresonal I like quite a bit too. I wouldn't go with an offbrand one fromom Wal-mart and if I wanted a flip out screen I personally would spend the extra on a quality Alpine or similar.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with this Pioneer from Curcuit City (though I first saw it at Best Buy, but it was more there). It didn't cost very much in relation to some other systems they had, but it was at least satelite ready and could play MP3's, two things I was looking for. I also picked this model because it almost perfectly matches my Sirius radio, both with the silver/black color theme and the blue lights. It is not the fold away face type that seems really popular right now, but it is detach face.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/6932E1E653F2486C86F01057F384C2A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2008, 05:18 PM
jstnumber73
Rookie

Alpine is the best. Dont go with a offbrand cause youll just be replacing it in a month or a year. I see it all the time at Best Buy,I work in Car audio. Pioneer Kenwood are also great radios. Pioneer has the highest rms watts@22 watts compared to Alpine @18watts, but alpine has a higher voltage for preoutsfor an amp. If your gonna amp it go with Alpine. If you just wanna replace the deck andspeakers go with Pioneer. Always get the service plan for speakers! lol

Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need new speakers. jstnumber73, what would you recommend for speakers (since you see what deck I have). I'm not running any amp, and plan to leave it that way.

Quick Reply: new stereo deck