2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock vs. K&N Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008 | 08:01 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Default RE: Stock vs. K&N Cold Air Intake?

Is it worth spending $200-300 or so for a kit that will maybe give you 1mpg more? some kits make more noise than others.
So, at the current gas prices now at $3.20/gal. So, now you are saving 1mpg, on a 25 gal tank, thats a 25 increase in distance. heres the math...
25galX 11mpg = 275miles.25gal. X $3.20 = $80 w/stock air box to fill up getting 275 mileson a tank = so it costs you $0.29/ mile.
25gal X 12mpg = 300miles. 25gal.X $3.20 = $80 w/aftermarket CAI getting 300 miles on a tank = so it costs you $0.26 / mile.

Saving $0.03 per mile you will have to drive 8333.33 miles to make your money up (used $250 since thats about the overall average).
Then after those 8333 miles you are saving 3 cents per mile. Now if Gas prices went down... that would change the ratio, so use the formula below for your own savings.

Disclaimer: the figures are just used for reference. I normally get 11mpg, and only fill up at the 20gal mark, and the time I did this gas was $3.20.
here is the simple formula to do your own calculations.

(TankSize) X (MPG) = (Distance on Tank). (TankSize)X ($CostofGAS per gallon$) / (Distance on Tank) = Cost per mile.

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:01 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: 98DodgeRam1500

Is it worth spending $200-300 or so for a kit that will maybe give you 1mpg more? some kits make more noise than others.
So, at the current gas prices now at $3.20/gal. So, now you are saving 1mpg, on a 25 gal tank, thats a 25 increase in distance. heres the math...
25galX 11mpg = 275miles.25gal. X $3.20 = $80 w/stock air box to fill up getting 275 mileson a tank = so it costs you $0.29/ mile.
25gal X 12mpg = 300miles. 25gal.X $3.20 = $80 w/aftermarket CAI getting 300 miles on a tank = so it costs you $0.26 / mile.

Saving $0.03 per mile you will have to drive 8333.33 miles to make your money up (used $250 since thats about the overall average).
Then after those 8333 miles you are saving 3 cents per mile. Now if Gas prices went down... that would change the ratio, so use the formula below for your own savings.

Disclaimer: the figures are just used for reference. I normally get 11mpg, and only fill up at the 20gal mark, and the time I did this gas was $3.20.
here is the simple formula to do your own calculations.

(TankSize) X (MPG) = (Distance on Tank). (TankSize)X ($CostofGAS per gallon$) / (Distance on Tank) = Cost per mile.
Just like any good investment it usuially doesnt have immediate payoffs. If your going for gas mileage (per this equasion) You will wind up saving approx $250 that FIRST year assuming that you travel 16666 miles in that year. I usuially put on about 20 a year. Then every year subsequent that you travle 8333 miles you gain another $250. If you want to sell it in a month or two, dont waste the money, but if you want to keep it for a while...why not. (atleast according to this equasion, real life may be diffrent)

Old 01-26-2008 | 12:33 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I too have been most intrigued by the volant intake's style. I on the other hand, do not care too much for that price. But I forget who found it, but someone found it or about $210, that's a great great price. I just think it's the best design, it gets its air from the fender still, has a new flowing design, the filter is boxed in and protected from direct engine heat, and if you wanna go extra crazy, it even comes with an optional airscoop that goes out to the grille of the truck. Not to mention it looks very nice, and should sound great too. It does cost a lot, but I'm willing to save up for it. I don't know if anyone runs Volant around here because nobody ever gives me feedback on it, but if I'm the first to get one, I'll be the first to let you guys all know how it performs.

Old 01-26-2008 | 10:36 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

I found it on styling trucks' website.
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...esults_trigger=

Old 01-27-2008 | 01:56 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

The tube has been known to crack, and the system really needs a larger element to breathe. Oh, this is my personal experience with the FIPK.[:@]
There is a recall on the early built units. If you still have it they will replace it.

Old 01-27-2008 | 02:44 AM
MMGoose

I bought my intake on ebay of about $20+$20 shipping. Simple metal (alu) and the part that goes over the intale was alu too. a K&N type filter on the end. the kit did not fit 100% but it works. I did notice a low end thorttle responce and some better mileage. For 40 bucks you cannot complain. It is kinda loud, but I thinks it sounds cool. I have had it in for about 1500 miles and the filter is still good. You can replace it with almost any cone style filiter.

Old 01-28-2008 | 08:26 AM
HankL
Champion

These different filters and CAI's don't improve MPG.

Ask yourself:
why would Toyota build all those technical devices into a Prius
and not put a CAI on a Tundra
if it would improve MPG ?

Chrysler is going to have a '2-Mode' hybrid out soon
and it won't have a aftermarket style CAIf on its engine either
despite spending over $1 billion
with BMW and GM to jointly develop this drivetrain.

Don't be a sucker over CAI advertising
or internet myths.

Old 01-28-2008 | 10:02 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I have to "somewhat" disagree with the notion intake kits aren't improving horsepower. There are many dyno tests that prove they can increase horsepower. BUT, what I can agree with, is they don't nearly improve h/p and mpg as much as they claim. If your expecting anything in double digits with an intake system, just forget about it. I do however, believe they assist a motor in certain parts of the powerband, mostly midrange. I remember when I had the low slow dodge neon. I had a lot of work put into that car, and I made the best of it. I put a throttle body on it, long tube header, hi-flow cat, axle back exhaust system, and a transmission cooler. You know what two mods actually worked the most? The fender well cold air intake kit (AEM) and the transmission cooler. The neon was never a threat of the line, but it did have a ton of punch once it got moving. When I first had the AEM installed I took it out for a little spin. Didn't do much for that torque until it reached 4,000 rpms which is pretty much useless. But when it was moving and I punched it, OH MAN, you could really feel it. The tach reached rpms the car could never reach. It'd always go to 5000 rpms before it would shift, but with the intake it would go up to 6200 rpms, it was astounding. Not to mention it sounded really throaty, you just can't beat that[8D]. So I think the intake world is partial gimmick, partial truth. Horsepower ratings are never what they are advertised, but they do help. If your building an engine, or if you want your vehicle to have a little bit of a custom edge to it, get the intake, because it will outperform most stock airbox set-ups. Also, the more work you put into a vehicle performance wise, the more and more useful an intake and other mods will become.

Old 01-30-2008 | 04:17 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Ordered a Volant CAI tonight. I was trying to find a good deal on it, the best I could find was $270 with free shipping on eBay. Everywhere else I've been seeing it for $300+.

Then I found out that www.performancecenter.com was having a big sale: got it for $252.33 with free shipping.

Shipping should take 2-4 days, the site said. Will post pictures along with results when I get it installed.

Old 01-30-2008 | 07:01 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: jason.w

Ordered a Volant CAI tonight. I was trying to find a good deal on it, the best I could find was $270 with free shipping on eBay. Everywhere else I've been seeing it for $300+.

Then I found out that www.performancecenter.com was having a big sale: got it for $252.33 with free shipping.

Shipping should take 2-4 days, the site said. Will post pictures along with results when I get it installed.
Congrats on your new purchase. let me know if it makes a diff in noise and mpg. please.
FYI, on page 1of this thread I posted this link to get it for $204.00
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...esults_trigger

were they outta stock?

Quick Reply: Stock vs. K&N Cold Air Intake?