2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Band Adjustment "Backing Off" TRICKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Crackshot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcweaver
someone stated that many of us have issues AFTER adjusting the bands. When my transmission got rebuilt about 2 months ago I specifically asked about adjuting bands when I service the trans and the response I got was don't do it unless something is wrong. I'm not saying they are right, all I'm saying is they are professionals and that was the advice I was given. Since then I have asked other mechanics that I trust and they all say the same thing? So maybe this was a habit that was formed at some point because of an issue that isn't needed anymore? I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it's time to service it!
I think bands are supposed to be adjusted every 50k is what I thought maintenance schedule was. Could be wrong.
I know it is at 100k maintenance schedule.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You are right, there is a maintenance schedule to adjust them. But if someone does not have the right tools, or has not done the homework, they need to let a pro to do it.

Last edited by zman17; 03-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

Found a socket that worked . changed the filter and fluid and ajusted the back band gos in to reverse much stronger now and bearly makes any noise now .didnt get to the front band yet .Also replaced the check ball line with some coolerr line i got from the store

Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
98dodgeram1500(5.9L)Laramie

you can always use a wrench. dont have to use a socket. by using a wrench you will still be able to count the rotations an know when to stop.

this is a link to a site i use and has helped me with my truck problems http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...T_band_adj.htm

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mcweaver
someone stated that many of us have issues AFTER adjusting the bands. When my transmission got rebuilt about 2 months ago I specifically asked about adjuting bands when I service the trans and the response I got was don't do it unless something is wrong. I'm not saying they are right, all I'm saying is they are professionals and that was the advice I was given. Since then I have asked other mechanics that I trust and they all say the same thing? So maybe this was a habit that was formed at some point because of an issue that isn't needed anymore? I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it's time to service it!
I was given the same advice...I was told due to the design of the bands in our transmissions if they are at the point where the band is causing it not to shift right adjusting them wont help at that point...They are so thin and have such little clutch material on them its crazy they hold up as long as they do... the transmission guy said on these transmissions adjusting them is actually more likely to just cause problems and premature wear...

Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I was given the same advice...I was told due to the design of the bands in our transmissions if they are at the point where the band is causing it not to shift right adjusting them wont help at that point...They are so thin and have such little clutch material on them its crazy they hold up as long as they do... the transmission guy said on these transmissions adjusting them is actually more likely to just cause problems and premature wear...
The two nearest Chrysler dealerships both said they do not adjust the bands when doing a transmission service when I asked a couple of years ago. So I asked my favorite local mechanic and he also said not to adjust the bands unless the trans was slipping, and at that point it would probably not help anything. So, I never adjust the bands. Of course my transmissions don't last that long either lol.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM
peiyeller

my 2001 2wheel drive dodge with a cummins has a very soft 2nd and 3rd shift wondering if a band adjustment might help this condition? Would appreciate any insight given all other gears seem fine

Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Sure can't hurt, especially if it has been a while....

Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peiyeller
my 2001 2wheel drive dodge with a cummins has a very soft 2nd and 3rd shift wondering if a band adjustment might help this condition? Would appreciate any insight given all other gears seem fine

Changing solenoid and pressure sensor and upgrading with a Sonnax Sure Cure couldn't hurt either.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:27 PM
Brian Flowers

Originally Posted by IndyRamMan
sorry I cant help you on this, but Im all ears on this one. Id like to pickup anything about band adjustments.
I have a 46 RE OO" for the back off its 2 1/2 counter turns.

Quick Reply: Band Adjustment "Backing Off" TRICKS!!!