2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem Still Around...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Still Around...

So as some of yall know ive been havin a ongoing misfire problem. I have had it in a few shops after xmas, including a tranny shop (just to rule it out) They told me the tranny was fine, but i was havin a misfire under full load. They ran a compression test and found the #7 cylinder wasnt holding compression. Took it to another shop to have them work on it, they ran 2 compression tests (called it a "wet" test) and said everything was fine. No cracked head, all the valves were fine. I had him check my wires, plugs, cap and rotor just to rule those out as well, all fine. They couldnt find a reason why it was misfirein. they did an induction service (yeah i know i could have done it my self but my mom offered to pay so why not) and it didnt do much.

some other factors is when coming to a complete stop at a light, the rms drop really low and you cant hear the truck running. the rmp needle sits about 2 cm under 500 mark. in park it idels around 500-600. maybe idle air conrol going bad?

ive checked the plenum, its fine. So any other suggestions fellas? maybe coil goin bad?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Tarner
Professional
Default RE: Problem Still Around...

That sounds like the IAC to me. Try cleaning it with some throttle body cleaner and a brush. Also clean the air passage the the IAC controls.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Tarner

That sounds like the IAC to me. Try cleaning it with some throttle body cleaner and a brush. Also clean the air passage the the IAC controls.
yeah i did that about 2 weeks ago when i checked the plenum. the Iac wouldnt cause the miss would it?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Tarner
Professional

No, I don't think it would cause it to miss. But it will mess up the idle if it's gummed up or going bad.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

So as some of yall know ive been havin a ongoing misfire problem. I have had it in a few shops after xmas, including a tranny shop (just to rule it out) They told me the tranny was fine, but i was havin a misfire under full load. They ran a compression test and found the #7 cylinder wasnt holding compression. Took it to another shop to have them work on it, they ran 2 compression tests (called it a "wet" test) and said everything was fine. No cracked head, all the valves were fine. I had him check my wires, plugs, cap and rotor just to rule those out as well, all fine. They couldnt find a reason why it was misfirein. they did an induction service (yeah i know i could have done it my self but my mom offered to pay so why not) and it didnt do much.

some other factors is when coming to a complete stop at a light, the rms drop really low and you cant hear the truck running. the rmp needle sits about 2 cm under 500 mark. in park it idels around 500-600. maybe idle air conrol going bad?
when
ive checked the plenum, its fine. So any other suggestions fellas? maybe coil goin bad?
does the misfire happen? all the time? when accelerating? only while idling? disconnect your idle air control with the engine idling. does it change the idle, or does it stay the same? if it stays the same, your IAC is dead.

an IAC only affects engine operation at IDLE. off idle is not affected.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Could just be a dirty throttle body too.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Could just be a dirty throttle body too.
because its a continuing problem with only one cylinder, i doubt that. if it was intermittent and multiple cylinders were involved, i would have to agree. its worth cleaning though!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

thanks for the replys guys... i took the throttle body off and cleaned it and all the parts when i did the plenum check. the mis happens when im accelerating.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

thanks for the replys guys... i took the throttle body off and cleaned it and all the parts when i did the plenum check. the mis happens when im accelerating.

what code is the OBD 1 scanner throwing? have you verified correct fuel pressure? are the injectors clean? just for giggles, switch the #7 plug and plug wire with a different one. see if that casuses that cylinder to misfire.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Tarner
Professional

The PCM uses the IAC motor to control idle speed along with timing to reach a desired MAP during decel to keep the engine from stalling.

When the engine rpm is above idle speed the IAC used for....

Off-idle dashpot (brings RPM down slow after the throttle blades close)
Deceleration airflow control
A/C compressor load control
Power steering load control

The IAC could be you idle problem, But the misfire is a whole other story.

Are you sure it's a misfire? Is it throwing a code for it? How's the coolant and oil levels looking? Could it be possible that you could have a bad head gasket?
Odds are that if you have low compression on the #7 cylinder that may be your misfire problem.

Quick Reply: Problem Still Around...