2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to get M1

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where to get M1

Anyone have a link to the Edlebrock one? How big of a performance difference will I see with these? I have always planned on going with one of these eventually and eventually maybe a Fastman TB but now I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off to go with the APS kit. If I won't see much of a difference it might not be worth the extra money. Wayne is familiar with me by now I'm sure as many times as I've called about my Tranny and with the problems with UPS being slow or losing not sure which the converter.

Can anyone give me an idea on what it would cost to have it replaced if I get the APS kit and Orings? So basically I would just need labor. I just had my water pump and t-stat replaced not long ago at all although I put a stock t-stat in so maybe I should change to the 180. I'm just afraid it will make me have no heat at all which I like having. The heat is already not as hot as it should be which is why we changed the water pump and t-stat. The mechanic said that the water pump wasn't putting out enough pressure.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
beaner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the m1 is a great intake. the only only real problem is with the short runners you lose low end torque. the intake are about 1/3 the length of the stock beer kegs. you can make up the lowend torque with a taller gear. if you go with the 4 barrel be prepared to have to machine the injector ports and drill andtap some misc holes for brackets. the 2 barrel already has this all done. it is a direct bolt on and is good for about 435 to 475 horse. as for the t-stat i put a 160 in my truck and there was not enough heat.the 180 t-stat works just fine it has plenty of heat and does not cook me out in the summer.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Get the 4 barrel M1. It's cheaper then the 2 barrel and said to perform better too, and you can just use the adapter plate to convert it from carb to throttlebody.
your retarded. sorry.

this is all dumb. Just fix your plenum if you have a leak. Just because something isnt factory doesnt mean your going to get power from it. (and even if you do, doesnt mean your getting it in a useable range)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you say that? I was serious. It is almost $200 cheaper, and you can get it already converted to use with our trucks. It is good for over 600hp. Contact John Mercedes at southeastrt.com, he'll tell you the same thing.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Why do you say that? I was serious. It is almost $200 cheaper, and you can get it already converted to use with our trucks. It is good for over 600hp. Contact John Mercedes at southeastrt.com, he'll tell you the same thing.
$200 - 50 for the adapter and the to have someone drill it for mpi. Ontop of that....its still an M1 Unnessissary for a next to stock motor. Thanks for the contact, but Im not going to call John. I have no need of getting advice from people when I already have the answer.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Not saying that either of you are wrong as you are probably right about it not being worth it on a stock motor but I have to say I think Silver_Dodge knows quite a bit so I tend to listen to him.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan
$200 - 50 for the adapter and the to have someone drill it for mpi. Ontop of that....its still an M1 Unnessissary for a next to stock motor. Thanks for the contact, but Im not going to call John. I have no need of getting advice from people when I already have the answer.
Whatever dude. He and I have discussed on several occasions using the M1 on stock and mild performance engines (like the Dakota R/T's and Magnums modified like mine is). I think i'll listen to the guy that has his own high performance shop and has built tons of high performance Magnum engines and has even engineered parts for them. They've dyno tested hundreds of combinations of parts on stock to highly modified engines and know what works and what doesn't. How many have you built. One? Has it ever even seen a dyno more then once, if at all?

Sure, if you have everything bone stock, then the M1 is probably not the right mod to do right out of the gate. But don't believe the same old hum drum that the M1 is only good on 408's making 600hp either. Some day, i'll try an M1 for myself, and I will be able to say definitivly that it is better or worse then the stock intake. For now, i'll listen to the experts. Have you tried both yet to back up your comments? If not, stop making claims as if you know all there is to know on the subject.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

Sure, if you have everything bone stock, then the M1 is probably not the right mod to do right out of the gate.

THIS IS WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT....not your 600 horse pie in the sky. Talking about reality vs fantasy. Get your head out of the clouds. I dont know when Iv ever said the M1 was trash or anything like that...you build accordingly to what you have done.PERIOD.

I dont need to try everything to know what works and what doesnt. I dont need to try a 60+hp chip to know its a crock of **** do I? Have you tried every header and exhaust combo there is out there? If not, by the same logic, you shouldnt EVER talk about exhaust again.

A little side note about mechanics....we all remember how much of a hot rodder Neon's exhaust mechanic was....dont we.

-------------------------------
Lets see what youve said in this post.

Get the 4 barrel M1.

if you have everything bone stock, then the M1 is probably not the right mod to do right out of the gate.
which one is it oh tech certified master?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

In a month ill have an M1 on my truck and ill let you all know what i think....

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 PM
zddp8868
Professional

its the same exact thing with putting a high rise single plane intake on a stock 283. hmm... NO.

an intake manifold could increase power, but never significantly. an intake manifold doesnt make power. what makes power? CAMSHAFT. CYLINDER HEADS.

PERIOD.