2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

put this in your tool box..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default put this in your tool box..

since i was throwing codes , and i didnt want be driving around with the snap-on scanner i got my self an actron scaner at autozone . I must say its a nice litte scanner i pid 140.00 for it its ODB II , need a cable for ODB I reads codes and number of codes , on screen code definitions , erase codes , displays emissions and MIL status , display captured sensor data , field upgradable , shows trouble codes in memeroy (even soft codes) wanna see if it would throw a soft code for the MSD ingition gives a coil code , thats where the tach adapter is needed.. over all im very happy with this and keeping it in my truck.. actron scaner #CP9175 .... of course they have the cheaper code reader that just reads the code (pocket scaner) 50.00..
these can be had at advance or autozone.....

Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: put this in your tool box..

Did you figure out what was causing your problem? Did you put the MSD back on?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

bad gas from sheetz , still getting the IAC code but im not changing that till fastman TB gets here this week...truck ran worse with out the MSD .. so i hook that back up .. hope when i fill at sunco 93 that the ping be almost gone , still pings at part throttle and im hating to look down the keg, mite be in for a rude awaking..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:41 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Does it read the codes on the screen or is it like the one Advance uses where you have to plug it into the printer and it prints it out on a sheet of paper? I have thought about getting one of these but never have.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

the one i have shows the code and tells you what it is. the cheaper pocket scaner only shows the code and that you have to look it up online or here in dodge forum.. Of course we perfer you post the code in the forum and we can help ya..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Oh ok sounds pretty cool. I used to use the Snap On or Mac tools one I forgot who made it I think it might have actually been Mac although we had a Snap On one too anyway I used to use it all the time when I worked at a shop. It was a nice tool. I wouldn't mind having one for the house. Where did you get yours?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

autozone... i seen advanceauto has them to.. depends how much you want to spend 49.99 or 399.99 . check out www.actron.com see what fits your needs.. i just did not want to take the snap on (800.00) and have that sitting in the truck or house....

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Houston4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walmart sells these too now. Not sure how good they are. But the one that has the full display is only $99. There's a cheaper one for $39 or $49.

Quick Reply: put this in your tool box..