2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips...yeah?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Superchips...yeah?

Very nice. And everyone on the phone just kept shooting me down, saying I was basically screwed. It felt like they were insinuating I should be penalized for actually putting work into my vehicle lol. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do all the mods, and then get the chip to acknowledge your mods. I kept spilling that concept out to these guys on summit and msd etc, and they were just like, why dont you just take your mods off that truck and put it to stock and then get this, was a little annoying. How much does a SCT or B&G cost? Also, would I log into the system what is done, or does it give you options?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Could be wrong but I don't see super chips making that much hp. Hypertech claims 21hp more and 35 ft lbs of torque more.

Here is the link to their dyno chart
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/get_dyn...590&tp=pdf

Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: 01DodgeRam360

Very nice. And everyone on the phone just kept shooting me down, saying I was basically screwed. It felt like they were insinuating I should be penalized for actually putting work into my vehicle lol. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do all the mods, and then get the chip to acknowledge your mods. I kept spilling that concept out to these guys on summit and msd etc, and they were just like, why dont you just take your mods off that truck and put it to stock and then get this, was a little annoying. How much does a SCT or B&G cost? Also, would I log into the system what is done, or does it give you options?

the B&G trash is $350. DONT GET ONE. I am furious with them. I gave them a list of work done to my truck down to a T and talked to the guy on the phone and he was very arrogantly dismissing my concerns about them not being able to accurately tune the fuel maps to my cam because they dont have one there to check it on. All they do is just give you a shot in the dark.To make sure they werent just pissing in my cupI asked them in writing to send me a list of perameters they changed and to what they changed them to. Received nothing. Not evena receipt.Customer service was pitiful as well. SCT is what Im going with next. The only reason I didnt get one was because they are $699. Couldnt afford that at the time. With the sct though, you have to go find a dyno as well and ontop of the 699 you have to pay for dyno time. PA is correct about mopar pcms., I forgot you had an 01.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yikes, I don't know then, it's probably not even worth it for me. It makes sense for you because you have so much work done, but for $699 just for the tune, and then I don't even know anyone around Maine that even has a fricken dyno lol, and I don't know how much that would even cost for someone to get my boat in the shop lol. I'm probably just better off doing the bolt ons and not touching it. To me spending roughly $1,000 on a tuner is insane, do you think it'd even be worth it if im only going to have an intake, fastman tb, headers, and full exhaust? I just think that's an obsurd amount of money to pay for a truck that isn't designed for speed to begin with. Although I really like how it can load tire sizes in, tranny, etc. etc. What do you think though, is it even worth it for my application where speed comes second?

Also INDY, what are you using right now for a computer? Are you still currently using the b&g flash, or did you send it back to them? If you did, how is your truck running with the stock pcm?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Indy , is your pcm toast ?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I'm hoping in May to pick myself up a SCT tuner, I think they are in the $600 range. They can set you up with 3 different custom tunes in one handhed which I think is pretty sweet. Plus I've been reading that the programmers will modify your tune for free if you make a minor change (TB, Intake, etc.) and will modify the tune for $50 if you make a major change (Forced Induction, Heads, etc.). I think the B&G are in the $300 range and from what I've read people are usually very happy with the flash. Basically I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
http://www.bgchrysler.com/index.html
http://www.sctflash.com/

Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Yikes, I don't know then, it's probably not even worth it for me. It makes sense for you because you have so much work done, but for $699 just for the tune, and then I don't even know anyone around Maine that even has a fricken dyno lol, and I don't know how much that would even cost for someone to get my boat in the shop lol. I'm probably just better off doing the bolt ons and not touching it. To me spending roughly $1,000 on a tuner is insane, do you think it'd even be worth it if im only going to have an intake, fastman tb, headers, and full exhaust? I just think that's an obsurd amount of money to pay for a truck that isn't designed for speed to begin with. Although I really like how it can load tire sizes in, tranny, etc. etc. What do you think though, is it even worth it for my application where speed comes second?

Also INDY, what are you using right now for a computer? Are you still currently using the b&g flash, or did you send it back to them? If you did, how is your truck running with the stock pcm?
I dont think it would be wise to get one for what you are thinking the benifit would be, no. I dont think the intake would be a good idea either. Im assuming M1?

Still running the B&G. Would be even richer with the factory setting.

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

Indy , is your pcm toast ?
definatly not toast...definately got soaked, so idk if its water tight. Im assuming it is. I dont think it would have an issue either way because its going to dry for about 2 weeks before it gets electricity back into it.

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

I'm hoping in May to pick myself up a SCT tuner, I think they are in the $600 range. They can set you up with 3 different custom tunes in one handhed which I think is pretty sweet. Plus I've been reading that the programmers will modify your tune for free if you make a minor change (TB, Intake, etc.) and will modify the tune for $50 if you make a major change (Forced Induction, Heads, etc.). I think the B&G are in the $300 range and from what I've read people are usually very happy with the flash. Basically I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
http://www.bgchrysler.com/index.html
http://www.sctflash.com/

I talked with KRC and SCT and usuially I like the idea of dealing directly with the producer/distributor, but in this case KRC seems to be the people to buy it from. The benifit from them that SCT doesnt help with is the tuning part. SCT can only send you generic settings (the same exact generic settings B&G sends out). When you get the SCT handheld from krc the program is about 80% accurate (about the same as the generic setting) You upload that setting to your truck and go to the dyno. Take a run on the dyno and email the results to krc. They then write a new program and email it back to you and you put that in the handheld and then upload into the truck. Continuing untill exact. They said it usuially takes about an hour of dyno time (including emailing back and forth).

Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I dont think it would be wise to get one for what you are thinking the benifit would be, no. I dont think the intake would be a good idea either. Im assuming M1?
I'm assuming he meant Cold Air Intake instead of intake maniforld as he has been talking about a CAI for a while.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

That does sound awesome, but christ sakes, $600-700. That really ****in hurts. It's like a disease I have, I'm always spending so much cash on my truck, I just need a point where I can stop and start saving my hard earned money lol. Eveytime I do something to the truck I just look to do the next thing. I just got headers on, and now I'm already aching for the intake and the throttle body, it's an endless disease. I really just wanted to be done after the intake and the t/b and i thought that was stretching it. I really dont even wann do the flasher anymore if it's $1,000 basically to get it all up and going, that's just nuts[8D]. And that's just for performance, I still have a laundry list of crap I want to do to the exterior (front shocks and coil springs, linex, new rear bumper, new headlights, new wheels...the list goes on). Even my parents are always on my case how I never just enjoy my vehicle, I'm always putting cash into it. I think I need to learn how to just slow down and pace myself. I have a tendancy to blow my savings all at once and then be out of money for weeks trying to recover, it's a terrible cycle I put myself in[:'(]. Anyway, I'm going to put the tuner aside for now since I know how much it is, and just forcus on getting the intake for now...money money money...horsepower=money...sucks.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:04 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

That does sound awesome, but christ sakes, $600-700. That really ****in hurts. It's like a disease I have, I'm always spending so much cash on my truck, I just need a point where I can stop and start saving my hard earned money lol. Eveytime I do something to the truck I just look to do the next thing. I just got headers on, and now I'm already aching for the intake and the throttle body, it's an endless disease. I really just wanted to be done after the intake and the t/b and i thought that was stretching it. I really dont even wann do the flasher anymore if it's $1,000 basically to get it all up and going, that's just nuts[8D]. And that's just for performance, I still have a laundry list of crap I want to do to the exterior (front shocks and coil springs, linex, new rear bumper, new headlights, new wheels...the list goes on). Even my parents are always on my case how I never just enjoy my vehicle, I'm always putting cash into it. I think I need to learn how to just slow down and pace myself. I have a tendancy to blow my savings all at once and then be out of money for weeks trying to recover, it's a terrible cycle I put myself in[:'(]. Anyway, I'm going to put the tuner aside for now since I know how much it is, and just forcus on getting the intake for now...money money money...horsepower=money...sucks.
tell me about it. I was going to be DONE for a long a$$ time this weekend after I put the gears in....now look what I gotta do.