2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips...yeah?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips...yeah?

I'm nearing the end of modifying my vehicle performance wise, and I would like to cap it all off, and buy a programmer for the truck to maximize my bolt ons. I called superchips today. The guy actually said the chips are more designed for stock vehicles. He said anything past a catback and intake system on a truck will most likely mess with the chip because it is not tuned that much. He said he doesn't think I should go with an advanced throttle body, and just stop after the intake. He said for our rams, expect 47 horsepower, and 60 lbs. of torque, that is INSANE. But he is convinced that my headers may actually decrease the value of the chip, does that sound right? I really would like a chip though that is going to give me tons of horsepower, acknowledge my mods, and acknowledge the size of my tires, which would be really nice. He somewhat bashed me though. He said there chip on a stock vehicle outdoes any bolt on modifcation you can do to your truck, and it's kind of true. IF their numbers are true, then it's true. Im pretty sure an intake, throttle body, headers, and complete exhaust will not give me 47 horsepower. I had just always been under the impression that it cannot hurt to have a lot of modifications and then a chip, but he thinks that my mods will actually make getting a chip less effective. I really would like an intake and the fastman though, I think it makes sense. Think I could still go with the superchip after those mods? Or what are you thoughts on the superchip? What's the best chip that will add the most horsepower, and acknowledge and maximize the mods I currently have done to the truck? I'd also like whatever chip I go with be able to recognize the oversized tires so the speedo can be matched etc. etc.. thanks you

Edit: I called hypertech as well, and they are basically saying since I put work into the truck, that now I cannot get a chip. Is this true? All these companies freak when you just say headers. I spent a lot of money on these mods, and I would like to maximize their use, but nobody offers a chip past a vehicle with a catback and intake, that sounds silly to me. I live in Maine, and I dont know anyone that can custom make a chip for me. Is that the route I'm going to have to go? Im sure you guys know what to do though, there are plenty of guys here that have way more done that me, what did you guys do for a programmer, or do you just not run one?? I just had always been under the impression that youre supposed to do what you can for mods, and when you are done, get the programmer for the "icing on the cake"...but these guys are saying anything past an intake and catback will risk detontating my engine or minimizing their use, dissapointing.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: Superchips...yeah?

absolutely no need to modify the computer programs to maximise tuneing for bolt ons. If you want to get something that changes shift points and advances your timing (for an appropriate level of octane) thats about all that its worth. A good mopar pcm should do you just fine. Superchips should do well also. Either way its no big deal. Superchips has you overthinking the issue because they dont want to be held accountable for their claims when they dont pan out.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Indy, do you run the stock pcm on your truck with all the work you have done to it? I guess what I will say is I have always run 93 octane, so I would like my computer to fully acknowledge that. But if that's all a superchip is going to do for me, I'd rather not spend in excess of $350 for one lol. But you don't think it would "detonate" my truck would you if I ran a superchip? They were huffin and puffin about the truck having headers, I didn't really think that was a big deal. But if it's not going to be worth it, or make a differance really, then I'd rather put the money into the intake and t/b, and stop after that.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: 01DodgeRam360

Indy, do you run the stock pcm on your truck with all the work you have done to it? I guess what I will say is I have always run 93 octane, so I would like my computer to fully acknowledge that. But if that's all a superchip is going to do for me, I'd rather not spend in excess of $350 for one lol. But you don't think it would "detonate" my truck would you if I ran a superchip? They were huffin and puffin about the truck having headers, I didn't really think that was a big deal. But if it's not going to be worth it, or make a differance really, then I'd rather put the money into the intake and t/b, and stop after that.
good idea.

I needed to get my computer reprogrammed after i put the cam in. It ran WAY too rich. Never had a need to reprogram the computer with bolt ons.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

What did you have to do to get your computer adjusted after the cam? I hear it's big bucks to get it custom tuned. Thank god you don't live in Maine lol, there is like nothing cool around here performance wise.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I guess I am somewhat asking for suggesstions too for my brother. Right now his truck is in a shop. They are reparing and replaning his heads. We intend to have performance cams installed on his truck. But we are concerned his truck will run bad with his stock computer. Nobody offers a chip with a cam in mind, so we don't really know where and he would go to get his computer custom tuned if his truck reacts poorly to cams. If it is something that is going to cost big bucks, we are not sure if he should just let the cam idea go if it is going to be too much of a hassle. How badly did your truck run with the cam with the stock pcm, and what did you do to make the cam work?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was running rich why not use MSD ??? hey neon how much are these chips ?? mopar pcm was stop in 2000 , so if your options are B&G OR SCT....

Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

B&G and SCT offer chips? So are you saying that the pcm indy is referring to is a different one than the one thats in my pickup?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I'm prb gonna shoot for a B&G way down the road here...

btw neon, did you get my pm bout the springs?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these are not chips , these are flashes .. indy has an B&G flash , SCT tuner is a flash on a hand held.. Plus SCT you can custom tune to your specs... later this summer ill get an sct tuner to go with my mopar PCM..Put the idea is here to get done with your mods then get SCT or B&G....