2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what yall think bout these headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: what yall think bout these headers

I think the 5.9 and 5.2 are both the same stock. The stock Holley TB is 50mm at the top and tapers to 48mm at the bottom. Dan ports them out to 50mm or 52mm all the way through, smooths the inlet edge, and cuts out a lot of the
unnecessary metal up top that blocks flow.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jarebear86

ok well other then the fastman web site is there any other place i might be able to find one bc they are exspensive on that site
Dude, if you think those are expensive, look at the Holly TBs on Summit Racing's website. The Fastman's TBs are the best and are really well priced.

I am getting one as soon as my exhaust work has been done.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock exhaust manifolds really are a good design and will perform well for mostly stock aplications. As with most mods mentioned on this forum, you need to balance them against what you have already done and want to do.

The stock air box on our Rams does somewhat restrict the air coming into the throttle body. A K&N CAI kit would improve air flow into the engine. As others have stated, a fastman 50 mm throttle body is another good option to improve air flow. Yes it does look expensive when you see the price, but he is cheaper and better than any other viable option out there. His machining process takes the tapered 50mm to 48mm stock size and changes it to an even 50mm all the way through. New plates then also improve the air flow characteristics.

On the exhaust side, a cat-back exhaust system such as a flow master will improve performance. Along with a high flow catalytic converter you will notice improvements in your performance. The headers would then add to those changes, but just the headers really would not make a large difference.

I have tried to balance my intake and exhaust mods so that they compliement each other. If the engine can't draw enough air in, it doesn't matter how good your exhaust is and vice-versa. If the engine can't push the exhaust out it doesn't matter how good your air flow in is.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my tests on a 1995 Magnum 5.9V8
the stock factory air box had a restriction of 4.5 inches of water
measured at the half inch nipple for the crankcase vent inlet.

You could probably cut this down to about 1 inch of water
by running a second hose over to the driver's side grille
to supplement the tube running over to the passenger side fender.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Wrestling4x4
Rookie

if your short on money.. (i am.. im in college) i know you really want a powerful and big truck, everyone does but just save up your money man.. until you are able to spend and get what you the money on the truck and get what you want, i say save the money.. dont take this as a shot.. its your truck and see it as you may but i know my truck is plenty powerful for what i need it to do.. i aint tryin to crap on ur dreams but save for what you really want.. just remember what you pay for is what you get.. if you are just trying to get a quick shot of power while sacrificing (sp?) quailty, its going to show in the long run.. and sorry if this is a little off topic.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Thanks for the information, I never tested it to obtain statistical numbers. I was basing my opinion on how the truck ran when I swapped the factory air box for the K&N CAI, and from the K&N CAI to a round filter setup. As I don't go mudding my risk of pumping disagreeable fluids into my engine via the intake are minimal, hence the round air cleaner setup.

Quick Reply: what yall think bout these headers