2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Old Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 AM
MrQuickR1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Transmission Oil

Been having issues lately on the truck, surging issues etc...
For now my concern is the transmission.
I had checked it recently to find it has discoloration (darker red to off blackish) and smells bad!
2001 1500, 190k miles, bought the truck at about 140k miles so II am not sure if the previous owner changed the fluid on regular intervals.
I fear changing the fluid due to the old saying it drops the tranny shortly after the service.
Now I have read on here in the course of searching the issue that flushing can be bad for it, and just change the fluid a couple times in the course of a couple weeks and it should be ok and hope for the best.

What I'm hoping to find out is, is that true, or are there precautionary measures I can take to prevent that from happening? Should I have it flushed or just fluid and filters changed out?
Has anyone dealt with high mileage/old oil and changed the oil in the tranny without any issues shortly after or at all?

I believe my tranny started cooking some oil with the surging going on for some time now and I may have a handle on that issue at this point. Hopefully the tranny is not too far past the point.

Thanks
Billy

Old 02-06-2008, 06:41 AM
2 Marks
Professional
Default RE: Old Transmission Oil

ORIGINAL: MrQuickR1

Been having issues lately on the truck, surging issues etc...
For now my concern is the transmission.
I had checked it recently to find it has discoloration (darker red to off blackish) and smells bad!
2001 1500, 190k miles, bought the truck at about 140k miles so II am not sure if the previous owner changed the fluid on regular intervals.
Billy, our trucks are supposed to have ATF changes at 30k. If you bought your truck with 140k and it now has 190k, then it appears the tranny fluid is no less than 50k old or 60% over the recommended flush which would explain the smell and dark color. You can bet the previous owner did not have a tranny flush done for you prior to sale - you may be at 80k. You need to have it serviced.

Personally, when I buy any used vehicle/machine, I immeadiately have all fluids serviced suspecting the previous owner did not maintain things the way I do. It is peice of mindfor which the cost is built into my purchase price vs. what the sellers price is. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM
2001ramsport
Veteran

FYI....ATF+4 fluid is a semi synthetic so it has a strong smell even when new.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

That method worked for me 4 changes or a course of two weeks.. I bought a work truck from my dad about 100000 miles ago.. It has 239000 now.. He had never changed the tranny fluid and really i think I can count the oil changes on one hand.. the tranny fluid was black and really reaked.. I changed it with cheap atf+4 and a good filter.. (monday) then friday changed it again with somemore cheapo stuff. (Saturday) Then tuesday came a around did a fluid change and filter.. Then Saturday came again and the fluid was red so i swaped it out again with some ATF+4 and a Mopar filter from my local stealership.. Like I said it was bad.. depending on how bads urs is I would change it untill it is red.. theres a lot of detergents in the fluid so it will nockthe crap lose just make sure to use a good filter.. both times.. Then whenyou put the good fluid in on your last change change the filter again just for good measure.. make sure you cahnge it until it is consitanly red and you wll be good.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 AM
MrQuickR1

So then the transmission flush at a shop is not a good way to go?
If I am to do the change it a few times method, sounds like it will have to wait til it's at least a little warmer out, few weeks hopefully.
My fluid is not black black, more like an off red off black. I just wanted to basically check the level when I noticed it, but also too, the oil level was pretty high, over the max level!
Didn't seem foamy or anything, just seemed overfilled. Maybe that gave me the slipping sensation?
I really hope it lasts til its a little warm out.
I happened to notice "Sea Foam Tranny Cleaner" in the local Auto Zone. I didn't read it, I am skeptical about putting stuff in the trans......anyone ever hear of it or use it with sucess?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

Never heard of it.. if it is seafoam brand prolly a good buy but dont take that to the grave I would read reviews. Mine works great and now I change it every 20k in my work truck and 30k in my personal truck. I wouldnt flush it though.. Unless it is a dealer job.. They f*** it up normally you can persue it and have it fixed.Local shops arent backed by the brand.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also heard that changing the fluid on a hi mileage tranny will cause it to go bad. Let us know what happens, please.

Also, per the owners manual and service manual the fluid levelMUST be checked with tranny in NEUTRAL.And engine running, parking brake on and wheel chocks.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
MrQuickR1

ORIGINAL: lv360ram

I have also heard that changing the fluid on a hi mileage tranny will cause it to go bad. Let us know what happens, please.

Also, per the owners manual and service manual the fluid levelMUST be checked with tranny in NEUTRAL.And engine running, parking brake on and wheel chocks.
Oh great, now I'm the guinney pig? LOL
Well I have no choice, I have alot of work to do on the truck, but sections at a time.
I certainly will keep this post updated as time goes by.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
2 Marks
Professional

ORIGINAL: MrQuickR1

So then the transmission flush at a shop is not a good way to go?
I had my Dodge dealer perform a tranny flush after they performed a transmission cleaning. My dealer used a BG product for the cleaning - I think they ran the cleaner through with a special device and then went back and performed a transmission flush with another machine (or maybe the same machine). After the cleaning, Dodge installed a new filter. Make a call to your local dealer.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had mine flushed.. I think it was 70k when I Had it done... Mines still going strong.. but thats alot less miles than yours... I have 93k now...
My truck never had the fluid or filter changed prior to this... with the flush they DIDNOT replace the filter, so my truck still has the origonal tranny filter in it now... This spring when it warms up im planning on changing it and adjsuting the bands.

Quick Reply: Old Transmission Oil