2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plug Wires--->

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plug Wires--->

Screw that...takin em back. What P/N are the Champions everyone seems to like?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Looks like they come with wire holders AND numbers to identify each wire...if the image is correct. They do look like sweet wires, especially for the $$$...I'm pretty much sold...

Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram2K1

Looks like they come with wire holders AND numbers to identify each wire...if the image is correct. They do look like sweet wires, especially for the $$$...I'm pretty much sold...
Hmm, I did not notice that. I will review the ad and most likely initiate a purchase this coming weekend

Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Hold on I will check on the part #. I assume the ones I have now ready to go in are the same ones in the truck. I just asked Advance for the stock Champions in the past. This time I went to Napa but did the same. The ones I have waiting to go in are RC12LC4 over top of that number they have a 436.

They were $1.39 a piece at Napa. It's been a while since I got them from Advance so I don't know what they cost there.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Hold on I will check on the part #. I assume the ones I have now ready to go in are the same ones in the truck. I just asked Advance for the stock Champions in the past. This time I went to Napa but did the same. The ones I have waiting to go in are RC12LC4 over top of that number they have a 436.

They were $1.39 a piece at Napa. It's been a while since I got them from Advance so I don't know what they cost there.
Not bad... Thanks for the info. I'll be taking the Autolites back today after work. When I go to NAPA for my other stuff I'll get the Champions. I used to always use Autozone, but most of the Dodge community seems to lean more towards NAPA. I have both close by, as well as Checker, so I have my pick I guess.

EDIT: The NAPA part # is CHA-436 for the regular copper plus...part # CHA-4436 for the copper "truck" plugs. They are about a buck more per plug, but I may go with the truck plugs. Summit says the core is much bigger on the latter.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

So any advantage to going with the truck plugs? If so I will take mine back and get the others.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOOOOOOO! lol. There are TONS of people that have have those plugs in their 360/318 and love 'em. I have them in the Dakota with the 3.7 and I could imediatly tell a difference. Two months later it is still running great and the sis said she has gained 2mpg.

Btw, Rammaniac, I have no problem spending other peoples money, so if you have any other questions, ever, just ask

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

NOOOOOOO! lol. There are TONS of people that have have those plugs in their 360/318 and love 'em. I have them in the Dakota with the 3.7 and I could imediatly tell a difference. Two months later it is still running great and the sis said she has gained 2mpg.

I know, but knowing my luck, I would be the guy who used em and they gave me tons of problems. I don't know...I don't want to get stuck buying another $25 worth of plugs in two months.

Also, I got an email back from Jegs. They said yes, even though it says 1994-2000 for those plug wires (part # 555-40251) they WILL fit 2001 models as well. They also said they are a bit longer than the OEM wires and designed to fit in the factory looms for easy routing.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

So any advantage to going with the truck plugs? If so I will take mine back and get the others.
This is what the Summit write-up says:

These Champion truck plug spark plugs have been specifically designed for the severe demands that pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles place on spark plugs. They feature a massive center and ground electrodes that are 20 percent larger than ordinary spark plugs, providing high conductivity between the gap and more dependable performance than ordinary spark plugs. Champion truck plug spark plugs use a zirconia-enhanced insulator that offers 40 percent more strength and provides durability and longer life under severe driving conditions. Electrodes on the plugs feature their exclusive Heat-Active alloy to reach operating temperatures quickly and maintain stable temperatures under varying engine loads. Choose these Champion truck plug spark plugs for maximum reliability under extreme driving conditions.

May be worth the extra cost. I called NAPA, and they said these were $2.89/ea.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I re-gapped my Champion plugs to .040 (for some reason they were at .045) and swapped the Autolites for them. The truck seems to run much better and I cleared the code for the misfire on #5. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I run some errands.

Quick Reply: Plug Wires--->