2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM
ozyran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??

ORIGINAL: zddp8868

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Transfer case fluid and tranny fluid are seperate.
you still have to include it in how many quarts of ATF you must buy.
Ok, I'm confused. The transfer case and transmission are two entirely seperate components. How does fluid capacity in one relate to the other?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ozyran

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Transfer case fluid and tranny fluid are seperate.
you still have to include it in how many quarts of ATF you must buy.
Ok, I'm confused. The transfer case and transmission are two entirely seperate components. How does fluid capacity in one relate to the other?
the transfer case is like a mini transmission. it take power from the trans and throws it to both the front and rear axles.it requires an oil change when youchange out the trans fluid. some people go with shorter intervals with the transfer case because it has no filter to get rid of contaminants from things like off-roading.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 PM
ozyran
Professional

Ah, makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up, and for the good advice!

Honestly, I think doing *all* the drivetrain fluids (trans/t-case/front and rear diffs) at the same time is a good idea.

(Why does the Haynes manual say 24,000 miles when it should be 12,000?)

Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: ozyran

Ah, makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up, and for the good advice!

Honestly, I think doing *all* the drivetrain fluids (trans/t-case/front and rear diffs) at the same time is a good idea.

(Why does the Haynes manual say 24,000 miles when it should be 12,000?)
no problem dude.

as far as doing all the fluids at the same time thats a GREAT IDEA if you can afford to do it every 12,000 miles. as far as the differentials, i use royal purple ONLY in diffs and i change it every 50,000 miles just because im ****. the normal service liferanges from60,000 miles to "the life of the vehicle". changing it every 12,000 miles reall isnt necessary, but it really cant hurt anything but your wallet.

haynes manual may be saying 24,000 miles and that may be ok for some applications, but check the date of when it was published. standards have changed. i do the 12,000 mile deal. its cheap insurance, especially if you are running thevehicle hard.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I'd drain all that Penzoil ATF+4 out and go get the Mopar branded ATF+4. Walmart sells it for like $4.80 a quart. I've heard lots of people say only run the Mopar fluid. I'd also check the bands while in there. They may need adjusting.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

ORIGINAL: blkbaretta

Well, today I changed my tranny fluid and filter after noticing last weekend that one of my hose clamps was loose and leaking. I wasn't positive on how long it had been leaking, so I decided to just go ahead and change everything out in case some impurities had gotten in there. This was my first time to ever change out any transmission components. I did some reading and asked some questions and decided to buy 5 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 Full Synthetic fluid since most everything I read said it would probably only take 4-5 quarts(Haynes' Manual). However, after I got done and added about 3.5 Quarts I started checking and adding as needed. After adding all 5 quarts it is just barely reading in the cross-hatched "OK" area and is slipping pretty bad at normal running temperature. I was checking the fluid with the truck idling in neutral and shifted through all of the gears. I've noticed that when I shift into Drive or back to Reverse there seems to be a lag before it actually shifts into the correct gear. I was wondering if you guys thought it was probably just still low on fluid or could there be something bad going on here? I'd really appreciate all of the help with this. Thanks a lot!!
you have low line pressure because you are SUPER LOW on fluid. go to the store and get yourself a CASE of normal tranny fluid. pennzoil, etc. the transmission is going to take 12+ quarts to fill. dump a gallon or so in it and run the engine. put the trans in neutral like u did and keep dumping fluid in it. i wouldnt even start to check the fluid level until you are past 10 quarts.

whoa whoa whoa...
if your just doing a Tranny service - drain pan and change filter and adjust bands...
you only need about 6 quarts...

He is not emptying the entire case and torque converter...
Only that pan and filter....
put in 6 total and re-check while in neutral

LMAO 12+

Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

+1 on mopar ATF+4

Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I completely agree with XXL 1500. A tranny "drip drain" can drop about 8 quarts max, and that's if you let it drip all night. 6 quarts is the norm. It is near impossible to empty the torque converter of fluid without pulling it or using some sort of suction machinery, and you won't drain the fluid out of the radiator unless you pull the check valve out.

If you had a previous leak, you might be below the normal 6 quarts, but don't blindly start dumping ATF into the fill tube. Too much is just as damaging as not enough. Slowly add a half a quart while running in neutral and check the dipstick after its had a chance to settle down the tube.

I believe that the stock tranny system can hold 14 quarts max, if you have the aux tranny cooler and larger radiator included in the tow package.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:57 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

I completely agree with XXL 1500. A tranny "drip drain" can drop about 8 quarts max, and that's if you let it drip all night. 6 quarts is the norm. It is near impossible to empty the torque converter of fluid without pulling it or using some sort of suction machinery, and you won't drain the fluid out of the radiator unless you pull the check valve out.

If you had a previous leak, you might be below the normal 6 quarts, but don't blindly start dumping ATF into the fill tube. Too much is just as damaging as not enough. Slowly add a half a quart while running in neutral and check the dipstick after its had a chance to settle down the tube.

I believe that the stock tranny system can hold 14 quarts max, if you have the aux tranny cooler and larger radiator included in the tow package.

+1
completely dry!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never use anything but Mopar ATF+4....

Quick Reply: Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??