2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??

Well, today I changed my tranny fluid and filter after noticing last weekend that one of my hose clamps was loose and leaking. I wasn't positive on how long it had been leaking, so I decided to just go ahead and change everything out in case some impurities had gotten in there. This was my first time to ever change out any transmission components. I did some reading and asked some questions and decided to buy 5 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 Full Synthetic fluid since most everything I read said it would probably only take 4-5 quarts(Haynes' Manual). However, after I got done and added about 3.5 Quarts I started checking and adding as needed. After adding all 5 quarts it is just barely reading in the cross-hatched "OK" area and is slipping pretty bad at normal running temperature. I was checking the fluid with the truck idling in neutral and shifted through all of the gears. I've noticed that when I shift into Drive or back to Reverse there seems to be a lag before it actually shifts into the correct gear. I was wondering if you guys thought it was probably just still low on fluid or could there be something bad going on here? I'd really appreciate all of the help with this. Thanks a lot!!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??

ORIGINAL: blkbaretta

Well, today I changed my tranny fluid and filter after noticing last weekend that one of my hose clamps was loose and leaking. I wasn't positive on how long it had been leaking, so I decided to just go ahead and change everything out in case some impurities had gotten in there. This was my first time to ever change out any transmission components. I did some reading and asked some questions and decided to buy 5 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 Full Synthetic fluid since most everything I read said it would probably only take 4-5 quarts(Haynes' Manual). However, after I got done and added about 3.5 Quarts I started checking and adding as needed. After adding all 5 quarts it is just barely reading in the cross-hatched "OK" area and is slipping pretty bad at normal running temperature. I was checking the fluid with the truck idling in neutral and shifted through all of the gears. I've noticed that when I shift into Drive or back to Reverse there seems to be a lag before it actually shifts into the correct gear. I was wondering if you guys thought it was probably just still low on fluid or could there be something bad going on here? I'd really appreciate all of the help with this. Thanks a lot!!
you have low line pressure because you are SUPER LOW on fluid. go to the store and get yourself a CASE of normal tranny fluid. pennzoil, etc. the transmission is going to take 12+ quarts to fill. dump a gallon or so in it and run the engine. put the trans in neutral like u did and keep dumping fluid in it. i wouldnt even start to check the fluid level until you are past 10 quarts.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:26 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

I know I didn't drain 10 quarts out of there, but I did already put 5 quarts, so I'm definitely going to buy some more. Most of the things that I've read only say that it would only take 4-7 quarts to fill up after draining the pan. However, I could've leaked out more than what I thought so first thing I'm probably going to just buy a few more quarts and hope that fixes it.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
zddp8868
Professional

I know I didn't drain 10 quarts out of there, but I did already put 5 quarts, so I'm definitely going to buy some more. Most of the things that I've read only say that it would only take 4-7 quarts to fill up after draining the pan. However, I could've leaked out more than what I thought so first thing I'm probably going to just buy a few more quarts and hope that fixes it.
"most of the things" u read are wrong. check the chassis service manual for your dodge. put seven quarts in and see what happens to your trans. think about it this way: your differential takes 2 1/2 quarts. compare that to the size of the trans. (include the torque converter.)

my 200-4R takes 13 quarts with a cooler. my powerglide tookjust aboutthe same amount.if you're doubting what im saying to you, you could

A) run 7 quarts until it dies.
B) check the chassis service manual
C) call a place like TCI who builds these transmissions and ask them.
D) just listen to what i said

Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM
zddp8868
Professional

PS. running a trans low on fluid could potentially cause it to slip and this will damage the clutches IMMEDIATELY.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: zddp8868

"most of the things" u read are wrong. check the chassis service manual for your dodge. put seven quarts in and see what happens to your trans. think about it this way: your differential takes 2 1/2 quarts. compare that to the size of the trans. (include the torque converter.)

my 200-4R takes 13 quarts with a cooler. my powerglide tookjust aboutthe same amount.if you're doubting what im saying to you, you could

Dude, I'm not doubting what you are saying at all. If anything I am believing what you are saying. As I stated, this is my first time doing any transmission servicing myself and I really didn't know what to expect. I do know that I read the Hayne's Manual and they suggest draining the fluid from the pan and then only add 3.5 quarts and then begin checking. I thought that to be too low considering the size of the transmission, plus the pan, plus the cooler. However, after reading the manual it deterred me from buying a whole case of fluid, which after it is all said and done will probably be the amount that I have to use. I really appreciate your insight and I apologize for sounding doubtful, but I just was expecting to use less fluid than that. If I had thought I would need more, I probably wouldn't have gone with the synthetic.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:55 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: zddp8868

Dude, I'm not doubting what you are saying at all. If anything I am believing what you are saying. As I stated, this is my first time doing any transmission servicing myself and I really didn't know what to expect. I do know that I read the Hayne's Manual and they suggest draining the fluid from the pan and then only add 3.5 quarts and then begin checking. I thought that to be too low considering the size of the transmission, plus the pan, plus the cooler. However, after reading the manual it deterred me from buying a whole case of fluid, which after it is all said and done will probably be the amount that I have to use. I really appreciate your insight and I apologize for sounding doubtful, but I just was expecting to use less fluid than that. If I had thought I would need more, I probably wouldn't have gone with the synthetic.
no problem at all.

thats what i meant when i said its more expensive though. if it was 5 bucks more id say hell yeah but the fact of the matter is, its a BIT more expensive than that.

by the way while ur under there, check the actual transmission for leaks and check your cables.

oh and another thing, your truck is 4wd so your transfer case takes fluid as well. gotta factor that in too..

Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Transfer case fluid and tranny fluid are seperate.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

Yeah, I looked at everything pretty good while I was under there today and didn't see any leaks or anything anywhere else. It was actually leaking from the hose that comes out of the cooler. I tightened it down and I hope that was all. I didn't see any breaks or holes in the hose, so maybe that problem is fixed. I'll try and get some more fluid tomorrow and hopefully everything will be back to normal. I appreciate your help and for shedding some light on the whole situation for me. Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 PM
zddp8868
Professional

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Transfer case fluid and tranny fluid are seperate.
you still have to include it in how many quarts of ATF you must buy.

Quick Reply: Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??