2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 AM
blkbaretta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??

Thanks a lot guys. I was almost positive that whenI got this serviced back a few months ago my mechanic only charged me for like 4 or 5 quarts. There was no way that I drained out 14 quarts today. My receptacle only holds 15 quarts, and it was probably 2/3 full when I started draining today. It does make sense that the whole transmission would hold much more, but just the pan itself should only be 6 or 7 quarts. I'm going to go and buy a few more quarts(probably 4 or 5 just in case since I added 5 today and that way I'll have a little extra around). I'll just start adding it slowly until it gets to where it should be. Do you guys think I damaged it any testing it today? All I did was reverse and drive in my driveway so hopefully no major damage. Do you all think it would be an issue to just leave the Valvoline ATF+4 in there? I couldn't find the MOPAR at any of the stores I went to; it was either Valvoline Synthetic or Castrol and I chose the Valvoline. Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blkbaretta

Thanks a lot guys. I was almost positive that whenI got this serviced back a few months ago my mechanic only charged me for like 4 or 5 quarts. There was no way that I drained out 14 quarts today. My receptacle only holds 15 quarts, and it was probably 2/3 full when I started draining today. It does make sense that the whole transmission would hold much more, but just the pan itself should only be 6 or 7 quarts. I'm going to go and buy a few more quarts(probably 4 or 5 just in case since I added 5 today and that way I'll have a little extra around). I'll just start adding it slowly until it gets to where it should be. Do you guys think I damaged it any testing it today? All I did was reverse and drive in my driveway so hopefully no major damage. Do you all think it would be an issue to just leave the Valvoline ATF+4 in there? I couldn't find the MOPAR at any of the stores I went to; it was either Valvoline Synthetic or Castrol and I chose the Valvoline. Thanks again for all of the help guys.
The valvoline synthetic will be fine. It's good stuff.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 AM
minnesotamopar
Rookie

As for believing everything you read...

1. A simple tranny filter and fluid service refill doesn't start with adding 10 quarts--especially--after the owner says he's already on the dipstick.

Do that and you're going to A. pop so many seals your tranny will leak until it's dying day which will be a month or so if you drive it without an overhaul And B. fluid should start flowing out the filler tube as it warms and expands, if you can even get all that in there.

2. A transfer case is less like a transmission and more like a differential, and you don't even have to think about transmissions and their separate fluids together. Just so happens that they use the same type of fluid and they have the same recommended service interval, and they're next to each other.

--Matt

Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

Well I went to the store and got 4 more quarts of the Valvoline ATF+4 Synthetic and began the slow process of making sure that I didn't overfill it. I was surprised though because it took a total of 9 quarts(5 yesterday and4 today)to get it into the higher end of the cross hatched "OK" area. I filled it to the higher end just in case there is still a leak somewhere so it doesn't get low in the next couple of days before I catch it. That seems like quite a bit must have leaked out or I really drained a lot out this time. Do you guys think I could've damaged anything doing the little bit of testing yesterday and having the tranny slip on me? Hopefully nothing major and it won't go out on me in the next month or so; that would really suck. Thanks again everybody for all of the good information. Next time I do this myself I will know more of what to expect; probably should've asked more ahead this time. However it was a learning experience and I feel better knowing that I did it myself and didn't have to pay anyone to change it out for me. Hopefully I didn't screw something up and ruin a perfectly good learning experience. Thanks again guys.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blkbaretta

Well I went to the store and got 4 more quarts of the Valvoline ATF+4 Synthetic and began the slow process of making sure that I didn't overfill it. I was surprised though because it took a total of 9 quarts(5 yesterday and4 today)to get it into the higher end of the cross hatched "OK" area. I filled it to the higher end just in case there is still a leak somewhere so it doesn't get low in the next couple of days before I catch it. That seems like quite a bit must have leaked out or I really drained a lot out this time. Do you guys think I could've damaged anything doing the little bit of testing yesterday and having the tranny slip on me? Hopefully nothing major and it won't go out on me in the next month or so; that would really suck. Thanks again everybody for all of the good information. Next time I do this myself I will know more of what to expect; probably should've asked more ahead this time. However it was a learning experience and I feel better knowing that I did it myself and didn't have to pay anyone to change it out for me. Hopefully I didn't screw something up and ruin a perfectly good learning experience. Thanks again guys.
what did i tell ya?

"Just so happens that they use the same type of fluid and they have the same recommended service interval, and they're next to each other."

those exact reasons are why i mentioned the TC when i told him how many quarts he was going to need.i never said they held fluid together.

either way u look at it, its about gear reduction. trans or differential, six to one, half dozen the other.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
oops-sorry

i always thought it was bad to mix regular fluids with synthetic. i read somewhere that the fluids wont mix and can cause serious problems.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
oops-sorry

sorry i didnt realize this post was a year old. i was doing some searching on the subject and forgot to check the date.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's okay...I got a kick out of it's resurrection. This had to be one of the most uninformed and talkin' out your butt threads I've ever seen. I couldn't believe the crap about the tranny and x-fer case needing to be changed together...their fluids never touch each other unless the seal goes bad...

Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
oops-sorry

i thought the same thing, but being a newbie, i kept my mouth shut but i was still curious about mixing the fluids together

Quick Reply: Changed Transmission Fluid/Filter, Now I'm having Problems, ??