2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Desperately need help! PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Cudarich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperately need help! PLEASE!

Hello my mopar friends, I have a heck of a problem with my truck and its making me insane.

I drive a 1997 ram 1500. Its a 2wd, has the 5.2L v8 and a manual trans... i think nb3500 or nv3500... i forgot the name.

anyways, the only mods as far as powertrain consist of eddelbrok tubular headers, high flow magnaflow cat, and a cutout before the muffler that I leave open for around town driving, yet I close it off when I make long trips.

this set up has run very well for over a year now, but now my truck is having problems. It has had a slight tick on the passenger side of the engine for quite a while and I have always passed it off as a noisy lifter due to the truck now having 150k on the odometer, yet it has still run great up to this point.

So, my real problem is that within the past week, the truck seems to be running differently, not like its missing, still sounds like its firing ok, yet it sounds different, almost muffled, as if I had my cutout closed and doesnt seem to have quite the same power.

Not long before this most recent issue, however the charcoal canister that filters fuel tank gases... well... failed, charcoal bits ran up the line that takes the gasses back to the intake and clogged the valve that lets them in. needless to say i have been getting trouble codes and a vacuum in my gas tank. what I did to remedy that problem, was i just disconnected the hose to the charcoal canister.

now that I got this... not running so great issue within the past week, I figured the fuel pump/filter assembly was probably shot. I replaced it today, and it still runs the same, however NOW my fuel gauge does not read any fuel being in the tank, after I filled it. The fuel pump I got from autozone did have a different plug for the wiring harness in it, (only 4 wires where as mine had I think 6) however it came with a short pigtail that adapted my trucks plug to the 4 wires and other connector.

does anyone have any input? I am going insane trying to solve these mysteries.
I am sorry this post is so long, but I'm trying to give as much info as possible for any help that may be out there. So please please please help me, thank you.

Quick Reply: Desperately need help! PLEASE!