2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Subwoofer Enclosure Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Subwoofer Enclosure Ideas

First one is a pos it's made out of particle board it'll fall apart.

To be honest after over two years its still doing fine, sounds great and I can still ride people in the back.
It's not as dense as MDF. I have a couple friends with boxes made of particle board that are falling apart. I've made quite a few of my friends boxes out of mdf and they're doing fine at the same age. The site doesn't say which grade particle board it's made of. So I would prefer going with mdf if i were going to spend money on a box.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 92GreenYJ,

That is a nice setup you've built! It looksmuch nicer than some of the specialty plastic formed boxes I've seen on crutchfield and elsewhere.

I'm wondering if by any chance you would happen to have (and be willing to share)the plans for the box you built. I was planning on doing something similar, and if you have rough numbers for thebox sizeit sure would save me a lot of time.

Also - I'm curious as to which thickness of MDF did you use?

For the"seat lift kit", what did you end up doing? Just use some blocks to raise it up on the back, and let thefront rest on the box?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Cartman

Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
terranova
Professional

ya im extremely curious how you got your seat to lift up a few inches. Also is that a sealed or ported box setup? Do you think i could do the same thing but on the driver side only as a sealed box? Thats definately a neat setup you have there, any info on your DIY would be great.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
weewrestler

i dont have pics but i built my box myself and its a beast
i have two pyle 15s and a 4000 watt lanzer amp stuffed behind
the seat in my single cab truck
good thing im a short kid and i gotta push the clutch in
but man those speakers POUND hard

Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

15 are OVERKILL by far in any vehicle period.. and then to put them in a truck.. jeeze.. im sure they do pound hard.. [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 AM
92GreenYJ
Professional

Eric,
first i haven't solved the bottom seat brackets yet. for the brackets on the seat back I just welded on some extensions.

for the bottom im just gonna fab up some spacers to bolt the seat down to. just haven't had time to get over to IMS for the steel yet.
As for measurements, not sure they'll be much help as i had to make more than a few changes and modifications when I went to install it. I built the front, top, and back panel first. mocked it in and then built the sides and shaped the bottom from there. The bottom is probably about 20 different pieces of wood nailed in at odd angles and then I filled all the gaps with bondo fiberglass resin and sanded it smooth. then i had to add risers for the subs to the top so the magnets would clear the bottom of the box. If you really want my starting measurements i can post em here in a bit, gotta go out to the garage and find my notebook. as for materials used. I used 1/2" MDF some 1/4" lexan, (windows) nails for my pneumatic nail gun in various lengths and enough silicone to supply the playboy mansion. and of course two cans of bondo.

terra, its sealed. around 1.3 cu ft of airspace per chamber near as i can figure. and im sure you could work out a smaller box to just fit one side. just halve my measurements when i post em

Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

I wanna stick two Alpine tyep-e 10's under my seat. But those are on the backburner; I can install some component 6x9's up front to get my kicks for awhile.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 AM
terranova
Professional

alright works for me, such a difficult vehicle to get subs in while still keeping the backseat open for seating. measurments are always appreciated, but i have actually thought about making my own stealth box. I found a DIY to do it on caraudio.com to replace the middle seat witha box while still keeping the middle seat useable.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 AM
92GreenYJ
Professional

ok so here are the measurements i started with. i actually have two numbers for some of these as i kinda went thru a smallest box i can make biggest box i could make kind of thing. I went with the larger numbers.
Floor to bottom of seat (front): 7"s max (all the way forward like i did) 9.5"s
length (between the seat brackets from the floor) 54"s
Width (front of seat back to the hump on the floor pan) 16"s
floor to seat back (at the back) 3.5"s this i ended up cutting down by 1.5"s to 2"s

for the heck of it i have all the airspace calculations i did too so i'll post that stuff. remember this is airspace for one big box, not accounting internal bracing etc. i have airspace numbers for both 1/2" MDF and 3/4" MDF for three different sets of dimensions. again i went thru the how big do i want this thing dilema.
L = length, FH = Front Height, RH = Rear Height, D = Depth

Smallest box:
Measurements: 54"L x 7" FH x 3.5" RH x 16" D
1/2" MDF - 1.95 cu ft
3/4" MDF - 1.65 cu ft

Medium Box:
Measurements: 54" L x 9.5" FH x 3.5" RH x 20" D
1/2" MDF - 3.2 cu ft
3/4" MDF - 2.81 cu ft

Large Box:
Measurements: 55"L x 9.5" FH x 3.5" RH x 20" D
1/2" MDF - 3.26 cu ft
3/4" MDF - 2.86 cu ft

the box i ended up with was the medium box. think i ended up at about 1.3 cu ft per chamber but i haven't tried calculating it with all the bracing and such as i suck at math. hopefully this will help someone. if anyone has any other questions about my system please feel free to ask and ask here or in my thread in mobile audio so others searching in the future may benefit from this as well.

and for anyone interested in seeing the original build thread of this project, its here:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1102159/tm.htm

Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I'm thinking about pulling out my rear seat entirely. I'm looking at installing my kicker comp vr 12 in the middle with a forward firing config. Basically building a bench where the rear seat is with a storage box behind the passangers seat and an area to house my amp, cap, and crossovers behind the drivers seat. I still haven't decided yet, not quite convinced that my rear seat needs to go.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Enclosure Ideas