2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

diy tranny rebuild???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
wildwolf59
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diy tranny rebuild???

Ok guys....i can get the rebuild kit for my 46re tranny for around 400.00 to 600.00 dollars,depends on which kit i want to get...now the question is i want to rebuild this thing myself....been wanting to learn to rebuild these things for a long time now! My question is does anyone know of any special tools i will need to rebuild this thing or is it just simple tools and if there is a diagram of these 46re trannies on the guts of these trannies or a guide to help rebuild them....i think there was a post on this a while back but i cant find it!!!...i figured if i messed it up at least i tried and maybe even learn to rebuild these damn things for other people too...if anyone knows of any info or tips please let me know or if i even should try this task....i have changed trannies before but not rebuilt one so what do you guys think,should i try it or not...lol[sm=badidea.gif]or not????

Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Default RE: diy tranny rebuild???

its alot of small parts... i personally wouldnt do it unless ive been trained on it.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

If you find the merry christmas thread and download the FSMit has the instructions for the complete tear down and reinstallation of the tranny. It's not really alot of small parts. The hardest part about the whole thing is it has to be complety clean. It has no tolerance for any dirt what so ever. I looked over the instruction because I'm thinking of rebuilding it on my own and I can't find any special tools. Everything that you need to replace pretty much slides out.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think yoy would be okay. The main thing would be to take your time and read and reread everything along the way. If mine goes after my warranty runs out, my brother and I are gonna rebuild it. It's not extremely difficult, but it would help to have someone around who is just a generally good all-aroundmechanic. And to jump on what ICEMAN said, make SURE you keep a clean working environment if you do it. Honestly, the most difficult part may be getting it out from under the truck.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

Honestly, the most difficult part may be getting it out from under the truck.

+1 Its a real bitch pulling the tranny without a vehicle lift. I ran my truck up on car ramps and then picked the back up with a forklift and blocked it. to give a little clearance betweenme and the truck when I was rolling around underneath of it.

I was going to rebuild my tranny myself because I have done TH350's before, But I realized I dont want to Pull it out again if I screwed something up. So I took it all apart and cleaned it in a Hot tank, then took it to a guy to get it rebuilt so I was sure that it was right the first time.

It probably took me about 5 hours to get the bastard out, but it didnt help that my buddys where there with a case of beer

Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

yeah i would imagine a case of beer might blurr things a little...lol....yeah i will find that merry christmas thread and i think i will try it...i have a secondary vehicle so i can take as much time as i want on this thing and make sure everything is very clean and tidy...the tranny is still going but i have done everything in the book to keep it going and its about to go out so i will drive it till it dies then tear her down i think!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Slomojo01
Professional

Let us know how it turns out, and be sure to build it better than it was before!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are easier than a TH350.
I'm not saying you can't do it but this is definitely a 5 out of 5 for difficulty.
you will need a press to disassemble the overdrive section though

Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

I wouldn't touch an automatic transmission. Too many parts can fail and get dirty for me. When i did my b-joints, dirt was everryyywhere. Luckily that's a spot where dirt ends up anyway.

Quick Reply: diy tranny rebuild???