2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Volume Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:57 AM
dodgeforlife15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volume Buttons

I have a 98 ram and I was wondering if there was an easy way to add buttons to control volume on my steering wheel like in the newer trucks. I drove my friends 06 ram for awhile and now I am spoiled. Has anyone even attempted something like this?

[IMG]local://upfiles/84717/984695D7B5C749DD8A973D36C7F2C6D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM
WD OPN Throttle
Rookie
Default RE: Volume Buttons

I have a friend that did it but it wasn't pretty. We basically drilled holes into the back half of the steering wheel behind the ring (DON"T PUSH THE BIT THROUGH!, he managed to drill a whole in his airbag) Mounted an aftermarket control module and taped the wires down the side of the steering column and then into the dash. If you do it that way, you have to leave extra slack in the wires (Almost to the floorboard) to allow the steering wheel to rotate.

Hope it helps

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: WD OPN Throttle

I have a friend that did it but it wasn't pretty. We basically drilled holes into the back half of the steering wheel behind the ring (DON"T PUSH THE BIT THROUGH!, he managed to drill a whole in his airbag) Mounted an aftermarket control module and taped the wires down the side of the steering column and then into the dash. If you do it that way, you have to leave extra slack in the wires (Almost to the floorboard) to allow the steering wheel to rotate.

Hope it helps
I don't recommend doing that.[sm=noooo.gif]

Some aftermarket head units come with remote controls that can be mounted on the steering wheel. That would be your best bet.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:42 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I know the cd player that I have wich is a stock cd player has a connector in the back to connect to the steering wheel controls. So I'm pretty sure that dodge makes a steering wheel with the controls built in.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have factory audio controls on the steering wheel of my Ram. Check into finding a wrecked steering column with them and see if there is any way to make them work.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM
dodgeforlife15
Professional

thanks everyone. i have a stock cd player/changer and head unit so i think i am going to try getting my hands on a steering wheel with controls already on it and patch that in through the head unit.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie

My '99 has them. So you might be able to find a replacement that bolts right up.

Quick Reply: Volume Buttons