2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Starters? Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Kindschi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remote starts are awesome. Warm truck in winter and cool truck in summer... If you have a stick shift dont forgot to leave it in N, or you will pay the price when the car starts and jumps into gear.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Has anyone found a remote start without keyless or car alarm? The reason I ask is because I have manual windows, manual door locks....

I found this, but it still has keyless.
http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=4724

Sorry to thread jack

You dont have to hookup the keyless entry for the remote start to work. Roommates Cobolt has the entire package (keyless, security, remote) but only uses remote start as she has some kinda fear that alarms drain batteries and go off all night long for no reason and are therefor pointless.

You could check with the local shops that do Remote start installs and see what they have to offer without the keyless/security, may save a couple bucks, not sure.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:00 PM
jmhai
Veteran

I have a Black Widow S-1 unit installed and really like it.....

Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 AM
trucklover
Veteran

My dad has one on his van. It worked great for the first three years, but the brain part of the system died and when they had it replaced it never has been right. As a matter of fact he is still trying to get it fixed. The location that reinstalled the brain made a mess out of the wiring, so my dad took it to another location (they are the ones who said the first place made a mess out of it!), but it still isn't working correctly. You can be driving the van down the road and all of a sudden the siren goes off. It would be bad to come up behind a cop and have the siren start!! The remote start works fine on the system though.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 AM
jmhai
Veteran

The S-1 unit is remote start and keyless only it does not have an alarm... I really don't need it.. The place that installed it been the top dogs in the area for 10+ years and stand behind the products and work and the tech installed the LED light ,showing that the unit is on, in the dash bezel so at night anyone walks up to the truck the first thing they see is the blinking LED in the dash.. I guess it would keep a would be criminal at bay as much as the real thing would... Here in WNC don't really need it..

Quick Reply: Remote Starters? Good or Bad?