2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The difference? 46RE Standard/Performance Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The difference? 46RE Standard/Performance Transmission ?

I've never heard of a 36RH
I would be very surprised if you don't have some version of a 46RE
A 36RH would be a heavy duty 3 speed with a hydraulic governor. I would expect that kind of trans we be in something like a old RWD Chrysler Imperial or 5th ave.

Look just above the trans pan on the driver side. There should be a smooth machined surface with some numbers punched into it. (right above the lip of the pan)
It should start with PK 52xx xxxxAB or something like that. Any Chrysler parts dept should be able to tell you exactly what you have.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Eny Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rabbler
Look just above the trans pan on the driver side. There should be a smooth machined surface with some numbers punched into it. (right above the lip of the pan)
It should start with PK 52xx xxxxAB or something like that. Any Chrysler parts dept should be able to tell you exactly what you have.
Do you mean this ? FK52119045AA ????????????? (The UK Dodge/Chrysler parts dept can only give me info on 'UK vehicles', mine was imported from Florida so isn't on their computer).

Old 03-21-2008, 02:08 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

That sounds right the F is probably a P though
Phone or e-maila US or Can dealer parts dept and they should be able to tell you exactly what you have by giving them that #

Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie

Just found this site.
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starli...eman/Trans.pdf

I can't find PK(FK)52119045AA but did find (PK)FK) 52119845AA .
One number out so I may have read wrong when on my back under the truck.
The 52119845AA does relate to a 46RE so I'm no nearer in finding out what I have.
Is it possible that the original transmission stamp has remained in place on the casing under the truck but the actual transmission (which you can't see) has been changed ??

Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

I'm quite sure your tranny # is PK52119845AA
As I'm sure you noticed the numbers on the tranny aren't really engraved they are king of notched in with little dimples. What looks like FK52119045AA is more likely PK52119845AA.

To have a run of the mill 46RE

Old 03-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

You have a 46RE transmission. The 36RH is more commonly called the 727 torque flite. The 36RH is a 3 speed trans. The output shaft seal for a 35RH is the same seal that a 4wd 46RE uses. The 2wd 46RE uses a different seal. The "P" at the beginning of the part numbeer does not stand for performance, it just stands for "part"...

Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

You have a 46RE transmission.
Thanks for your PM. I did reply (x3) but my computer wouldnt send them and they didn't even register in my 'sent messages'.
Anyway I've since spoken again to my mechanic as the new seal has now started to leak,he thinks the 46RE has been remanufactured with performance/HD Parts eg .High pressure pump (this might be causing the leak) bigger clutch plates etc.
I'm also trying to trace the pevious owners tel number for any info he may have.
I'll keep you posted and any further advice regarding a high pressure leak is appreciated.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:19 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Doubtful
More likely because the UK techs aren't used to working on this style of vehicle they either installed the wrong part or didn't have the proper driver for the seal and had to 'make' something work.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: rabbler
Doubtful
More likely because the UK techs aren't used to working on this style of vehicle they either installed the wrong part or didn't have the proper driver for the seal and had to 'make' something work.
The mechanic I use has various American cars and is the founder of the NW England American Car Club. He works on all the memberscars (all classics or pampered vehicles). He also drag races a Camaro and is in the process of rebuilding a 72 Mustang.
I understand why you may think he hasn't the experience but he isn't 'any old tech' and has years of experience.
I purchased all the parts based on my VIN number,as for the driver 'you may be right'? even though he knows what he is doing. Maybe I need a proper Mopar seal rather than the OEM Aftermarket seal that has been used.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

I wasn't slighting his experience. It was more about limited parts availability based on your location. Pump/converterseals can be tricky to install without the proper installer/driver because of the stator support in the middle. You can't use a socket or flat driver so many timesguys use a flat punch or brass drift (which can work) but that really increases the chance of damaging or distorting the new seal.

Quick Reply: The difference? 46RE Standard/Performance Transmission ?