2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The difference? 46RE Standard/Performance Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The difference? 46RE Standard/Performance Transmission ?

Pretty simple question really.
I have a 2000 Ram 1500 Magnum 2WD. The (46RE)transmission (gearbox) has been leaking for a while now so its in the 'Shop'? (garage)
being repaired. I ordered a new seal for it . The seal does not fit as the previous owner has installed a 'Performance Transmission' and thereforeI need a different seal. I would like to know how my 'Performance Transmission' differs from the standard. This is the only Ram I have ever driven so I 've always thought this was 'Standard'. I was told that the letter 'P' before the I.D number on the transmission indicated a 'Performance Transmission'.
Thanks.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: The difference? 46RE Standard/Performance Transmission ?

Try to PM XXL 1500. He is a certified Chrysler tranny tech. If Dodge had a perofrmance tranny with a special seal, he'll probably know.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

If Dodge had a perofrmance tranny with a special seal, he'll probably know.
Thanks. I wouldn't say its a 'Special' seal, it just has a bigger diameter. Looks like the standard seal only bigger.
The part number of this seal is only different from a standard seal by 1 number. It might be a HD transmission but the parts supplier said 'the number stamped on the transmission begins with 'P' which means 'Performance'. ???????????????????

Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Based upon your sig, I assume that you have the truck in England. It's possible there are some differences between the US and English versions of the tranny which we normally don't run into.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Based upon your sig, I assume that you have the truck in England. It's possible there are some differences between the US and English versions of the tranny which we normally don't run into.
Yes ,I am in England. All my parts are sourced from the US as the Ram was never sold 'officially' in the UK. All Rams in the UK are US/Canadian spec.(all imported). My Ram came to England in 2006 after spending its previous life in Florida.
It is only recently that Chrysler/Dodge have really commited tothe UK market. This is because they have entered the UK/Euro market with cars like the 300c, Crossfire, Caliber.All small to medium size (by US standards) vehicles.
These dealerships only sell parts for 'official' UK spec cars.
The mechanic said it could be a race tranny ????????????

Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Which seal is it? Front pump? rear extension housing? Do you have the old seal out?

Is the mating surface to the housing wrong, or is it the sealing surfacediameter?

Old 03-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

Which seal is it? Front pump? rear extension housing? Do you have the old seal out?
The seal was described as the 'output shaft seal' which is between the tranny and torque converter.
The new seal is now fitted and no longer leaking though I still want to know what tranny I have.
The truck left the factory with the standard 46RE Tranny. The part number for the seal on astandard tranny is NAT-331228H.
The part number for the seal I have had to use is NAT-331227H, that makes me think I have a different trannythan standard and
as previously stated the number stamped on the trannybegins with the letter 'P' which my mechanic says means 'Performance' or 'Race'.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

My OLD Mopar performance book shows two such trannies. P5249165 is for lockup style trannies and P5249166 is for non lockup converter apps. The numbers may have changed.

Anyway, your "output shaft" (we call 'em front pump or TC seals here) seal is for a 727 pump. That's a good thing because its a bigger pump all around. The stock tranny uses the same seal as the lighter duty 904 did. No biggie. You will have to remember that if you ever need a torque converter though.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Eny Ram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

My OLD Mopar performance book shows two such trannies. P5249165 is for lockup style trannies and P5249166 is for non lockup converter apps. The numbers may have changed.

Anyway, your "output shaft" (we call 'em front pump or TC seals here) seal is for a 727 pump. That's a good thing because its a bigger pump all around. The stock tranny uses the same seal as the lighter duty 904 did. No biggie. You will have to remember that if you ever need a torque converter though.
Thanks.With this info I can hopefully find out exactly what I have via my supplier.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Eny Ram
Rookie

I now think I have a 36RH (not a 'performance' transmission) in my truck (the part number for the new seal matches the 36RH seal part number).
The number on the transmission is 52119045AA which is not the 46RE.
So can anyone tell me the difference between the 46RE and 36RH ?Which is the better transmission and why ????
Thanks............

Quick Reply: The difference? 46RE Standard/Performance Transmission ?