2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 stalls when going thru carwash

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 AM
TonkaMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.9 stalls when going thru carwash

its funny this comes up now... just yesterday I powerwashed my engine bay to get a lot of the grit outta there to swap out the airbox for the 14x3 setup. Anyway I shut the truck down while I was cleaning it, finished up and she started right up no problemand rover about 6 miles to the hardware store for the bolt I needed for the install, as I pulled into the parking lot the truck starts running really rough and the CEL flashs randomly on and off. When I finished up in the store I headed home about 12 miles and for the first 2-3 miles the truck just ran terrible at low RPM anything below around 35-40 MPH and it felt like I was running on 2 cylinders, at this point the CEL is steady on. I decided to pull off at the wawa, for a drink and smokes and to check what I could under the hood, about halfway home. didnt find a thing outta place other then some strange smells... no smoke no steam nothing, next thing I know I get back on the road and the truck is running great like nothing happened at all. When I finally got home after the whole frustrating and embarassing ordeal I threw the thing on my code read and came up with about 5 errors all related to misfires... I had misfires in cylinders 3,4,6,8, and a code for random series misfires, as the truck was running purfect at this point I cleared them all and went on my merry way, havent had a hiccup since and I put about 100 miles on the truck since then. The only thing I can think of is that I must have gotten water in some strange places... possibly even into the stock airbox. I dont think it would have been an electrical connection as it seemed to slowly correct itself as I drove. Any other thoughts would be great. the truck is a 99 1500 5.9 with about 86k stock at the time other then a wide open exhaust.

oh PS the air cleaner is installed and it rocks pics to follow I need sleep for work though...

Quick Reply: 5.9 stalls when going thru carwash