2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 stalls when going thru carwash

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
yotekiller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 stalls when going thru carwash

This has happened to me on a couple different occations. Stalled once going thru an automated car wash ( pull thru type) and once in the stationary type car wash. Will run fine and all of a sudden quits. When you try start it, it spins over and starts to back fire something terrible. ( Quite embarassing to say the least). Thought mabe water was dripping down on distributor, so Ichanged distributor cap. Butstill have the same problem. Could it be the coil, as it sits right up front on the left side of the motor? Any info would be appreciated. I have not tried changeingplugs or wires. Vehicle has 125,000 miles.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Default RE: 5.9 stalls when going thru carwash

pull your plugs and see if they are fouled or anything. Also check under your hood to make sure that rubber grommet that keeps water from slidin down the hood is there. Im just takin a shot in the dark here till some of the more experienced guys chime in... Sounds to me like that water is shortin somethin out. Check all your wireing and grounds.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

Could be your plug wires. How old are they?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure your distributor cap is screwed down tight, and that the plug connections on the PCM are tight and clean.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Use a better grade detergent in the soap you are using.

lol. Just Kiddin. I'd say the plug boots or use some Electrical Cleaner on some of your more prominent electrical connections.

Also, my truck did that at a wash as well; turned out the Battery connections were loose. Just make sure your connections are tight, as these Dodges are very picky about their current.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 PM
yotekiller

I've had the Dodge Boys put it on a scanner right after it has done this, and everything comes up roses. I just believe it does not like a bath anymore!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: yotekiller

I've had the Dodge Boys put it on a scanner right after it has done this, and everything comes up roses. I just believe it does not like a bath anymore!
A scanner isn't going to tell you jack squat unless said scanner is hooked up during the car wash.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
yotekiller

They have told me it should set a code, if something is malfunctioning? I have check all my connections as suggested by kowboydmac & silver_dodge and all seem to be tight. I'm going to try putting a plastic bag over the coil to keep water from hitting it as it sprays thru the radiatorand run it thru a wash again, if that helps, I know it is the coil, if it does not help, then I have a problem somewhere else. Also I have check the air cleaner,( sounds dumb I know )after this has happened and it has no signs of water. So I know it is not getting a large dose of water all at once thru that.I run a K&N Filter set up.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: yotekiller

They have told me it should set a code, if something is malfunctioning? I have check all my connections as suggested by kowboydmac & silver_dodge and all seem to be tight. I'm going to try putting a plastic bag over the coil to keep water from hitting it as it sprays thru the radiatorand run it thru a wash again, if that helps, I know it is the coil, if it does not help, then I have a problem somewhere else. Also I have check the air cleaner,( sounds dumb I know )after this has happened and it has no signs of water. So I know it is not getting a large dose of water all at once thru that.I run a K&N Filter set up.
It would not necessarily set a code.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

Scanner will only pick up codes.. Wont pick up crap unless the check engine light is on.. BECAUSE that is the only time the TRUCK even knows what the hell is going on.

Quick Reply: 5.9 stalls when going thru carwash