2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone ever considered this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone ever considered this?

ORIGINAL: Slomojo01

For more power people insulate their lines. But for efficiency I think that hotter fuel vaporizes into gaseous form easier thus realeasing more chemical energy when ignited.
Insulation from heat. Fuel is cold, its not going to heat up when insulated. Insulated fuel lines dont add power.

Gasoline isnt a GAS its a liquid. Turn it into a gas and have fun doing what im doing to my truck now. If there was a benifit to heating the fuel, it would have been done. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that copper gaskets are very good and that they're reusable. Is it possible that if and when I pull my heads to do porting work I could eliminate this possible gasket problem with copper gaskets?
once u crush a head gasket, u can't use it again. all today's head gaskets are copper/metal...

lol insulated fuel lines. if you want to go faster, stop trying to avoid getting your hands dirty and do a cam and/or head swap. that's where the power always was and still is.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Slomojo01
Professional

I wasn't very clear when I said that. What I meant was, to insulate the lines from outside heat. Not to keep the cool fuel warm by wrapping it in a blanket.

And absolutely right, insulated fuel doesn't add power. What was implied was that insulated fuel lines are less effected by heat thus losing less density if any at all. For example, for max power in, let's say, a dragster, lines could be sheilded from heat in order to achieve max air/fuel mixture density delivering and supporting max compression for maximum power. That's about what I meant.

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

For more power people insulate their lines. But for efficiency I think that hotter fuel vaporizes into gaseous form easier thus realeasing more chemical energy when ignited.
Insulation from heat. Fuel is cold, its not going to heat up when insulated. Insulated fuel lines dont add power.

Gasoline isnt a GAS its a liquid. Turn it into a gas and have fun doing what im doing to my truck now. If there was a benifit to heating the fuel, it would have been done. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Indy,. What exactly are you working on when it comes to making your car run on "gaseous" fuel mixtures as opposed to the "liquid" fuel mixtures people such as I commonly call gas? What Octane? What Combination???

Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Indy,. What exactly are you working on when it comes to making your car run on "gaseous" fuel mixtures as opposed to the "liquid" fuel mixtures people such as I commonly call gas? What Octane? What Combination???
No, im rebuilding it from the fire.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slomojo: ...30 places behind the decimal...are you being precise enough? Why does gas need to be better atomized? And why would hot gas or hot steam be worth the effort and cost to justify.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Slomojo01
Professional

You actually counted that? Whoa.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Slomojo01
Professional

When fuel is sprayed into an engine it is already atomized. The reason to atomize the fuel even more then it already is, is to maximize the amount of surface area exposed to air in order to burn as much fuel as possible and not to just do what most engines in stockers do. That would be burning the outside surface of fuel globules while doing nothing to the inside area of the fuel globules except for allow them to absorb and carry away heat energy, which should not be done for max power and efficiency, as waste to the catalyctic converter to be burned there because of; high pressure caused by the cells in the cat and catalyst materials exposed to very high temperatures.

And water vapor can probably do many things other than what I'm stating but off the top of my head, it's good for increasing compression, lowering temperatures, steam cleaning engine walls, etcetera.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Slomojo01
Professional

After receiving some advice from my father, instead of doing the heater hose around the fuel line, I'm now going to try having coolant flow into and out of a sealed canister to preheat fuel. Idea is now going to be extend fuel line and send it into the canister where it will be coiled to collect heat and then exit the canister to reconnect to the fuel line after the fuel has reached boiling point.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 AM
svehn

hot fuel is not good for power or efficiency. an engine runs more efficient when it can make the most power out of the least volume of gasoline. the only way to get more power out of a cc of gas is to keep it cool for as long as u can so it is a denser cc of gas. coupled with oxygen rich cool, dense air increses power and efficiency. hot fuel and hot air from steam injection will provide less power and less efficiency. this is not good. if you want to improve efficiency you can make a water electrolosis machine that splits H2O into H2 and O2. then inject these gasses into your intake. the extra O2 will provide a more complete burn and the H2 will give you a bit more combustion that will increase power and fuel economy marginally. I have several friends with machines like these on their highway tractors and it does make a diffrence, so they say.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When fuel is sprayed into an engine it is already atomized. The reason to atomize the fuel even more then it already is, is to maximize the amount of surface area exposed to air in order to burn as much fuel as possible and not to just do what most engines in stockers do. That would be burning the outside surface of fuel globules while doing nothing to the inside area of the fuel globules except for allow them to absorb and carry away heat energy, which should not be done for max power and efficiency, as waste to the catalyctic converter to be burned there because of; high pressure caused by the cells in the cat and catalyst materials exposed to very high temperatures.

And water vapor can probably do many things other than what I'm stating but off the top of my head, it's good for increasing compression, lowering temperatures, steam cleaning engine walls, etcetera.
If you want better fuel atomization, go with a different injector. I believe ford makes a triple head sprayer that is compatible with our engines, but might allow a little larger flow rate than our setups. The singular Dodge one isn't the best for what you're trying to do. I'd start there.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever considered this?