2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone ever considered this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone ever considered this?

your not still on better fuel econ or power or whatever from heating or cooling or whatever to fuel are you? dont be such a ricer.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Indy, I thought that someone like you wouldn't be such a pessimist when it comes to things like efficiency. I guess I was wrong. I just don't like to swallow the idea that my engine is already as efficient as it ever will be seeing as how engine builders do the wonders they do with relatively similar setups and lots of expirimentation. Somehow i'll find out the truth. It just won't be from listening to people telling me that this that or the other is impossible.

Anyhow Indy, if you don't mind me askin, why is it that you think a better vaporization of fuel through preheating would result in any losses at all ? The way I was thinking, more surface area of fuel exposed to air, the more power that can be released per combustion cycle.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 AM
ron333
Captain

The way I was thinking, more surface area of fuel exposed to air, the more power that can be released per combustion cycle.
That is why you go to injectors that give a better spray pattern and/or a finer mist, and index your spark plugs. If you heat the fuel before it reaches the combustion chamber, the molecules will have expanded to give you less fuel per injection shot. This of coarse will lean out the fuel - air ratio, thus causing less power to be made. This means you would have to keep injecting more of that heated fuel to get your truck to give the power you want it to. This means that is is running less efficiently than it was before the fuel was preheated. I believe your idea is correct on trying to expose more fuel molecules to Oxygen for better combustion, but I believe the method you propose is not in the right direction. I do applaud you on thinking out of the box though. This is the realm that great inventions emerge. I am very interested in making Hydrogen gas from water to supplement, better yet replace petrolium fuels. I have been doing a little research on that myself. I feel that there is a lot of potential there.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Slomojo

yeah... If 98% of fuel is burned inside of the engine, why is it that catalytic converters are necessary to prevent bad emmissions from exiting the exhaust as unburned hydrocarbons? And why is it that back in the day a person could install a sparking device in their exhaust pipes to create a flamethrower type of effect out their pipes? Simply because most of the fuel injected into a cylinder doesn't burn. It get's carried away in the exhaust. Want proof? Ask yourself, why were exhaust gas recirculation systems or positive crankcase ventilation systems designed for cars in order to recylcle unburned hydrocarbons? Is it because some engineers wanted an extra 2% of fuel to get burned??? Probably not. It's for trying to capture some of all that lost fuel in the exhaust stream. But anyways. I'll keep everyone posted on the results of this project.
"Back in the day" engines had carburetors and were inefficient. They also lacked catalytic converters to burn off the unused hydrocarbons. Read my original post. I SAID MODERN ENGINES. And you are correct in that catalytic converters and PCV systems are to burn off the unused hydrocarbons--the 2% or so that are left over from combustion. If more than that were left over, you would clog your cat. Not to mention the fact that the purpose of O2 sensors is to monitor the air/fuel ratio and adjust it to stoichiometric. You'd trip the CEL if it were otherwise.

EGR systems were developed to lower exhaust gas temperatures. Look it up.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever considered this?