2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dumb REVERSED JUMPER CABLES

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your battery has probably dropped battery acid down onto the cruise control modules wires and burned them, its pretty common, at least it has happened with mine 3 times...

Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
froesen
Professional

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Also note, when jumping a vehicle with POSITIVE ground (yes, they are out there), do as follows:

Negative (donor) to Negative (recipient)
Positive (donor) to GROUND (recipient) on the chassis, block, etc.
Yeah....and remind your dumbass buddy's that you never let the doors touch while boosting positive earth'd vehicles...

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
madmax0r
Professional

Did you say you tried to start it?

If so, the starter was running backwards... I dunno if that's catastrophic or not? I know some race car drivers run they're engines backwards to switch dominant wheels in the rear

The oil pump wouldn't work, water pump wouldn't work, alternator would be fine.. a/c pump might not like that.. power steering might not like that.. automatic transmission might not like being run backwards, definitely not for long... i doubt the pump in there would function right...

I would say, get electrical **** fixed, then just see what happens..

jeez...

Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thier is a fail safe built into all 12 volt electrical systems in the event of mixed up jumper cables. Its called a fuseable link.
Thier are othier fuses that will blow in the event of crossed voltage, thier by no means cheap to repair.

If the the boasted battery had no charge, crossing up the voltage will not harm it, its dead all ready, but even at 3 volts, the boasted battery has potential to blow up.

all ways hook the negative ( black ) to a ground on the boasted batt ( mot the - batt terminal ) will safe you in the event of crossed boaster cabbles.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

It will save you in the event of a NOT reversed cable, too. If a connection is going to spark, it's the last one that will. If there is any hydrogen hanging around the battery, the spark will ignite it in a vigorous manner ... blowing the battery and showering everything in sight with a splash of sulfuric acid. ALWAYS make the final connection on a frame/engine/body part.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:14 PM
Turbox2
Default Crossed boosting oops

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
How the hell does something like this even happen? They're ****in color coded even.
Deffinetly make your friend pay for this ****.
Just a note I’m a ticketed Mech and Autobody tech I have an 07 5.9 and a 2015 6.7 boosting my 07 from 2015 both have 8” lifts on both only excuse I have lol. On 07 drivers side battery pos at back of battery on 2015 drivers side battery pos at front of battery and I when making final neg connection and as a habit do not clamp but touch connection and realized something was wrong grabbed my stool and climbed up to look wow I own that mistake but that’s how easy **** happens So never assume always check and double check when boosting always pos connection first neg last hope this helps even one person 45 years playing with vehicles and I feel like an idiot. No damage but

Old 04-20-2022, 05:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Just another note: This thread is 13 years old!

Quick Reply: Dumb REVERSED JUMPER CABLES